Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishJoe

Moss Balls!

I brought two today for £7.98 at my lfs, (good deal i think!) i almost didnt have any because they guy couldn't find them because they only get "around 5 a week" and they were hiding at the bottom in between the other larger plants.

Anyways im so excited (they are so fluffy and awesome!)

What are your guys experiences with them, ive heard they dont need alot of great care, they keep algae down to a minimum (which is good) and goldies dont like them that much.

But do apple snails like to munch on them? Since they are keen algae eaters!

What goldfish do and do not eat depends completely on the goldfish. Whenever you introduce new plants to goldies there is always a chance that you have just bought them a snack instead of a lasting plant. Honestly I'm not too sure about the snails. The main theory about plants keeping algae down to a minimum is that they consume the same nutrients that algae needs to live therefore there are none left for the algae to bloom.

Do you plan on dipping them or putting them into your QT before introducing them to your tank?

I know for a lot of other members moss balls have become a goldie salad bar, but mine haven't touched my moss ball, so it's luck of the draw! I haven't really seen my apple snails take an interest in it either.

And of course don't forget to sterilize the moss balls with a diluted bleach solution before putting them in your tank, just in case they are harboring anything you don't want in your tank :). (bleach solution = 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, soak for a minute or so, rinse well, then rinse in extra Rrimed (or whatever water conditioner you use) water)

My goldies devoured mine :( Hopefully your moss balls survive :)

Mine also became a salad bar. They didn't touch it at first and then one day I came home and there had been a moss ball massacre! Pieces of moss ball everywhere!