Pest snail ID?

blinky000

A couple of months ago my axolotls moved back in, but with them came hundreds upon hundreds of these little snails (and we wondered why the axolotls were getting fat!). Anyway, I've always thought of these things as pests so I boiled literally everything in their tank apart from the axolotls themselves. Today during a water change I saw one of these snails. Then I started to see just how many there really were. Goodness knows how they came to be. Anyway, here's a pic of the biggest one. Seems to be the only adult in the tank and all the babies are around the same size:

DSCF2395.jpg

Any idea what kind of snail it is? Or what it eats? If they enjoy algae but won't eat live plants, I'm considering putting them in my betta tank since I have a problem with beard algae and my otos won't touch it. Would that work, do you think?

• Supporter

It looks like a pond snail. Kinda like rams horn snails i think. Most people find them to be a nuisance ?????. I left rams horns in my ten gallon tank and the only algea that they don't seem to eat is green spot. Not sure about the pond snails though.

I dont know what kind of snail this is, but I did have one in my tank for about 6 months and it never grew or multiplied. Im sure its a pest snail but in my experience it was unproblematic, unlike Malaysian Trumpets (MTS) or Rams Horns. In the end, I got a bunch of Assassin Snails to combat the growing MTS problem in that tank and they eventually tracked this guy down and ate him too, and ive never seen one in there since!

I dont think you could use assassin in an Axo tank because itd probably be too cold (I have no evidence of this other than the fact ive only ever seen assassin in tropical conditions and from what I know Axos are kept in colder water). I feel for you because snails are a real pain in the butt.

Wormer Plus is really good at killing snails, incidentally, but if you have alot of snails you dont want them to turn into alot of rotting snails, so crushing them as you see them is prolly best..

And just as a word of warning if you aren't super vigilant you can transfer them from tank to tank and they will lay eggs in your filter so if you are wanting to get rid of them, make sure you clean it out well

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.689754,-81.742527