ypdmd

*Ammonia Level 0

* Nitrite Level 0

* Nitrate level 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop

* Water temperature? 76

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 35 gallon / 3 months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC 70

* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 50% last wednesday night

* How many fish in the tank and their size. 2 (now 1) 2 inch fancy goldfish

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, last water addition was w/o prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x day omega one pellets, hikari lionhead pellets

* Any new fish added to the tank? all

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Added salt to .1% at last water change. 5 days ago

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? fungus mainly on other fish, not the one that died

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Voracious eater, very active, ate swam well - all 100% this morning. When I came home from work this evening and fed them, the oranda was hovering at the bottom, but not lying on the bottom. Did not eat when fed. A few minutes later I checked again and he was swimming around, but seemed a little weak. 3 hours later he was dead.

Only recent change was I finally pulled out the UG filter last night, which stirred up some stuff.

I am pretty frustrated. The fish was doing really well. I was applying the advice I was getting on this board here, but things are not working out for my fish. I have post-mortem photos if anyone want to see. The fish looked like the perfect specimen of goldfish health. i checked the gills - they were light pink.

Last video was taken on nov. 3rd, 24 hours after salt was added.

I'm really sorry about the fish :(

The only thing I can think of is that by pulling up the UG, you released a lot of bacteria, and the oranda ended up getting a bacterial infection, which would/could account for the quick death :(

I would definitely do a big water change immediately.

Is the tank still salted?

So sorry to hear this! When pulling your UG filter plates, moving the fish out while doing it and a big water change before putting the fish back would have been the way to do it. :( UG filter trap all kinds of crud, which is why they are not recommended for goldfish.

Sorry, seems like common sense to me that if I'm removing such a big item, I'd take the fish out. :) And also if noticing a lot of crud released, a big water change would be obvious.

Edited by Red

Hi there,

First of all, I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated but I just read the entire thread you originally posted and you were given some fantastic advice. It can be hard when you come here expecting a simple answer (i.e. 'give this medicine for that problem') but instead are told to completely change everything in the tank. Believe me I know, that's what happened to me when I joined :)

But again, the advice you have been given is very good. I think the main issue is that you had new fish who were introduced to a new tank (which was overstocked) and then they went through a lot in a short period of time, in terms of changes to their environment and water chemistry. If a fish is in poor conditions (which those coming from pet stores often are), these types of songstress can sadly, push them over the edge and cause death.

Removing the under gravel filter did, no doubt, stir up a lot of waste which may have caused a spike in ammonia and harmed the fish. It's hard to say exactly what the cause was at this point, but the best thing you can do is keep implementing the positive changes you have made to ensure that your tank provides a healthy home for your remaining fish :)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, last water addition was w/o prime

Any reason why your last water change was without Prime added? Prime needs to be added with every water change...

I had added too much prime the previous change. I immediately did an 80% water change to dilute it, and followed a few days later with a 50% change with 24 hr bucket water. That is why I did not add prime.

You don't need to worry about excess Prime, I add more than is called for all the time :)

It's a better idea to add it with every water change, even if you do add too much. It won't hurt.

It was 10 x the recommeded dose.

Wow that was a lot hey!? Good move on doing the 80% change right away, just to be safe.

Prime actually 'dissolves' after a short time, about 24 hours so it is ineffective after that point. It's meant to react with chemicals in the water during changes (when it will permanently remove chlorine, etc.) or in emergencies, but it doesn't stay active in the water. So yes, even if you overdosed you would still need to add it with the next water change, otherwise the fish may be exposed to chlorine. But if you let the water sit for 24 hours that would have been fine too.

But if you let the water sit for 24 hours that would have been fine too.

Yes, that's what I did.

I know, that's why I mentioned it as being fine :)

The prime just speeds up the process, so you don't need to let the water sit (which obviously would be really difficult if you were changing, say, 80% of a 55 gallon tank!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry you lost your fish. I'm glad that all these people read your post and contributed the best they could. Thank you for bringing it up again so that other could read it and be informed in case it happens to them.