A good petstore employee!

mary

I thought I needed to post this - at the store where I bought Pip, I went in to get help after he'd crashed. (see 911 thread for that story). A young man there was helping a little boy and his mother. When I explained that Pip was bottom-sitting, he chimed in, "green peas. Feed him green peas." I then went on to look for a heater, brine shrimp, etc. As I did, I saw this young man take a siphon out and show the little boy and his mom how to siphon a tank. When I went to the cash register, the little boy was clutching a bag with two calico Ryukins like Pip. They had a tank with a HOB filter, and it was clearly already set up at home. Yes, they'll probably be overstocked, but that's a lot better than many employees would do!

So I wanted to mention that. It's rare to find an employee who's knowledgeable about fish. :)

yes it is rare and nice to say so when you do find one :) but they do exist :) i am happy to have found such a guy in my local chain store where I usually shop for my supplies like prime and food stuff as they are less expensive there,but this guy has several aquariums at home although admittedly he does not keep goldfish (yet) he does seem to know what he's talking about :)

I agree. It's very rare to find someone in petstore chains, but when you find one you really can appreciate them. I have found a couple individuals in the lfs near me and I have told them over and over how wonderful it is to have someone take more interest in the well-being of my fish than in simply selling me stuff. :)

I hear you, I am so excited when I see people at petstores that actually know about fish. There's this one guy at our Pet$mart who seems to have at least basic knowledge about goldfish keeping. He always asks people who buy goldfish as pets about their setup etc, and tries to give advice.

Honestly, that guy overall is a bit creepy, but seeing him trying to educate people about goldfish makes me very happy :)

I've seen a few good employees :) here and there but it's rather hard to find them but they are real :) No one seems to know anything about goldfish at my local chain though only at a non chain store seem know about goldfish. :(

Edited by Golden fishy

It would be a great idea to send a letter to the store manager commending a good employee. Customer satisfaction is very important in business, so such a letter can be a big help to the employee when retention/promotion decisions are being made.