The Legume: A Growth Blog

kortniee

Since about a month after I got Peanut, I've been chronicling his growth. There isn't a lot of information out there about goldfish growth, and anyway, it's likely to be as different for each fish as it is for each anything else, including but not limited to people. But I was interested in the growth of my fish. Since I only have one fish, it's easier for me to carry something like this out.

So I set out a plan:

- I created a ruler of translucent tape, units in inches.

- To measure, I stick this ruler on the tank starting at a corner, then stick a small amount of freeze-dried tubifex to the glass on the side about 1.5 inches above the ruler. Tubifex is ideal because it will stay stuck to the tank until it is eaten completely.

- Immediately after doing this, I pull up a chair and take a video of my fish eating his tubifex.

- Afterwards, I scour the video for stills in which he is more or less aligned with the ruler.

- Repeat around the end of each month.

As you will see, the resulting pictures are not the clearest thing in the world, because the camera I use is primarily a still camera. And despite doing everything I can think of to make my odds better, he still doesn't ever completely line up with the ruler for perfect measuring. However, I think the pictures I get are helpful nonetheless. Here are the results:

July 26, 2011 (This one is a bit of an outlier because it was in a different tank and I discovered quickly that the best place to do this is as far from the filter output as possible, thus the switched side.)

Peanut072611.png

August 28, 2011

Peanut082811.png

September 29, 2011

Peanut092911.png

October 31, 2011

Peanut103111.png

I am proud to report that so far, he seems to be growing at a rate of about 1/4 inch per month (measuring from nose to base of tail). Stay tuned for more updates!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That' great! It's not often we see growth pictures so well documented. Peanut is such a cutie and it's fun to watch him grow. Thanks for sharing!

I am glad you all like this idea. I thought about it for a long time, which is why it took me a month to actually start doing it. I am hoping for some awesome comparison pictures after I've had him for a year or so. Four months is a while, but not really long enough for him to change super-dramatically.

I passed compliments on to Peanut. :)

• 4 weeks later...

New picture time! For comparison's sake, I will quote my earlier post and then add the new picture at the end.

July 26, 2011 (This one is a bit of an outlier because it was in a different tank and I discovered quickly that the best place to do this is as far from the filter output as possible, thus the switched side.)

Peanut072611.png

August 28, 2011

Peanut082811.png

September 29, 2011

Peanut092911.png

October 31, 2011

Peanut103111.png

November 28, 2011

Peanut112711.png

That Nut just keeps on growing. Looks like he's losing some black, too. I am perfectly okay with an orange and white fish. He seems to be getting a little chunky, as well. Not surprising given that he downed three bunches of anacharis this month. The little dork. ;)

I think the lines on my 'tape' measure are fading. Mayhaps I should make a new one.

He's getting a bit of a belly! So cute. This is a great thread and if you don't mind, I'm going to steal the idea for my littles so we can see how they grow.

mj

That is a really neat way to measure your fish. What are you doing as far as water changes and feeding routine?

That's about 1/4inch per month. That's impressive :)

I am impressed with him also! I keep thinking each month will be the month he slows down but he doesn't seem to be doing that yet.

Is it just the lighting, or is his color way more intense? He seems to be a more vibrant orange. Very cute fish. The growth is impressive.

The lighting is pretty horrible. These are stills from a video taken with a camera designed to take still shots, so it's less than ideal. However, I do think his color has gotten brighter. Here is a still picture of his side taken shortly after we got him (he used to be such a skinny little kid):

100_0865.jpg

And here is a picture I just took the other day: (Apologies for the size difference. And the side difference.)

DSC04527.jpg

I think he was much more yellowish orange back then. :)

He's getting a bit of a belly! So cute. This is a great thread and if you don't mind, I'm going to steal the idea for my littles so we can see how they grow.

mj

You can definitely take this idea. Best of luck doing it with more than one fish! I don't know how I'd manage. Except maybe a separate container for the purpose.

That is a really neat way to measure your fish. What are you doing as far as water changes and feeding routine?

I don't do anything fancy, really. He mostly gets Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets, a pinch 2-3 times a day. I overfeed a bit on these because my plants can handle the extra waste. He gets peas occasionally and sometimes he eats plants if I buy delicious ones. I change just a hair over half (maybe 5/8 to 5/9 of the tank volume) of the water every Sunday. He is alone in a 20 Long with several anubias plants, a small java fern, and some brazilian pennywort, so my nitrates end up around 5-10 at the end of the week (and my tap has 10 nitrate and 1ppm ammonia in it already!). This is probably way too much info but I wanted you to get the whole picture. :)

• 1 month later...

Time for a new update!

Peanut072611.png

August 28, 2011

Peanut082811.png

September 29, 2011

Peanut092911.png

October 31, 2011

Peanut103111.png

November 28, 2011

Peanut112711.png

December 31, 2011

Peanut123111.png

The nut just keeps growing. I didn't think he had grown that much this month, but I suppose he has. He was a good boy and stood nice and straight for me this time too. His black seems to be slowly fading still, as well. Basically business as usual this month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peanut072611.png

August 28, 2011

Peanut082811.png

September 29, 2011

Peanut092911.png

October 31, 2011

Peanut103111.png

November 28, 2011

Peanut112711.png

December 31, 2011

Peanut123111.png

January 28, 2012

Peanut-2012-01-28.png

Not much new growth for January. I unintentionally underfed him this month--there just were lots of days when I wasn't around enough to feed him all 3 times in a day. This month I will try to make a better effort to get Peanut all of his food--I'm sure he'll enjoy that. :D

It has also been colder this month than any of the previous ones, so that might be slowing him down also. I don't use a heater in his tank, and it does get cold in there, but he's an active happy fishy so I will likely leave it unheated.

I've noticed he has a white patch on his belly that seems to be spreading up, particularly near his left gill plate. Maybe he will start showing some more non-fin white in the coming months.

Those of you who have said you might try this: have you yet? Anything to report? I am curious to see how others do with this.

Edited by kortniee

• 4 weeks later...

Update time!

July 26, 2011

Peanut072611.png

August 28, 2011

Peanut082811.png

September 29, 2011

Peanut092911.png

October 31, 2011

Peanut103111.png

November 28, 2011

Peanut112711.png

December 31, 2011

Peanut123111.png

January 28, 2012

Peanut-2012-01-28.png

February 26, 2012

Peanut-2012-02-26.png

Looks like he's growing, both filling out and still getting longer. He is also still losing that patch of black on his side, slowly. I made a new ruler this month! It has darker lines and also more inches. Hopefully we will measure with them someday. :D

I found this neat comparison earlier this week too, and it's interesting to look at as well. You don't really get the full effect of the growth difference with these pictures, I think, because there are so many of them and there is little context besides a ruler, which is a little abstract. But I found two different full-tank pictures of similar scale!

One from September 19, 2011:

100_1061.jpg

And one from this February 21, 2012:

DSC04865.jpg