Sign in to follow this  
viking_snail

Vegetarian gelatine?

Hello all :)

I've been making my own gel food for a little while now, and it's almost time to make some more. I've read that the animal protiens and such in regular gelatine can actually aggravate any floaty problems, and since I've been cutting out any processed goldfish foods to help Gerald, this interested me.

He's alot less floaty since removing pellets/flakes, but there's still a little floatiness, especially after the gel food. I'm going to look into agar agar, but I also wondered whether vegetarian geletine would work. I was thinking something like this:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1320245227918

Just wondering if it would be safe to use. The ingredients are: 'Dextrose, Gelling Agents: Carageenan, Locust Bean Gum, Acidity Regulators: Calcium Acetate, Potassium Chloride.'

Thoughts? :)

Carrageenan is seaweed, and is very similar to agar agar. I couldn't open the link, but there is nothing suspicious about the ingredients. I would definitely give it a try :)

Well, I made gel food with this the other day and the results were not great! :(

I made 2 lots, one just veggies and one with salmon added too like I normally do. Cooked and blitzed all the ingredients like usual, then used 1 sachet of gelatine per batch (each batch was 200ml). The veggie one set really quickly - so much so I had problems getting it in all the moulds in time! The fish one didn't set at all to start with. I think I didn't cook it for long enough, so I put it back in the pan and cooked it for longer, and it set perfectly. So, so far so good.

Then it came to feeding.. The texture was a little firmer than normal, but not by alot, so it seemed good. But my fish didn't eat it atall.. they spat it all out! :( I have no idea why .. I will try them with the fish one to see if that goes down any better. Maybe I used too much of the gelatine so they didn't like it? Everything else I did the same as usual, and that goes down very well with my fish!

It does sound like you've added too much gelatine. I have had that happen with a couple batches in the past when I first switched to agar, and the fish were chewing like they were chewing rocks. Try adding half of what you added before...

This part is the not-fun part, getting the recipe just right for them. May be you can also add some garlic as enticement?

Yeah I definetely think too much gelatine was the problem! I was going to try them with the salmon gel food today, but when I was cutting it up it was so rubbery, no wonder they spat it out. I will try half the gelatine next time :)

I always add a little garlic to the gel food, this time I used raw instead of cooked. I wonder if that made a difference..

Well I had another go making gel food today, using half the gelatine. So far so good .. it looks like it's setting, but we shall have to wait till tomorrow to see if they'll eat it this time! Fingers crossed!

Well, they had this gel food for their 'lunch' today. And I think it was a success! :D They ate it, didn't spit it out atall. It did seem to take them longer to chew it than normal gel food, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Will have to see how they respond to the salmon one, but it's looking good :)