why my goldfishes dont swim? :S

Guest arron88

Guest arron88

i have 60 gallon fish tank with 11 comets 1 black moor 1 ryukin and 1 fish bigger than ryukin but i dont know its name. i have a heater the water is always at high 60's. i went to petsmart yesterday to get the water tested, they said the water is fine. the problem is all the fishes in the tank especially blackmoor dont want to swim they are always at the middle of the tank and seems like they are sleeping. the problem is not sbd cuz once they swim they swim just fine... what could be the problem? ;(

Your tank is very overstocked (too many fish). You need to get the exact numbers of your tested water. What pet store employees consider 'fine' is often far from fine :(

Also, could you please answer as many of the questions posted above as possible.

Guest arron88

• Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gallons over a month
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • aqueon 55-70
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • once a week 20-25 percent

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • today
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • smallest one is about 2 inches which is comet largest one is i dont know the name of it but it looks like a panda goldfish its about 6 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • aqueon water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • once a day with fleaks about 2-3 pinches they can finish it in 5 mins
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • 3 days ago the biggest one
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • i had ballon mollies, which petsmart employes said will be fine with gold fish but they attacked blackmoors and returned them, at that time which is 2 weeks ago i used melafix. and i used super ick cure during the first week.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • none
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • keep on sleeping on the middle of the tank, they swim pretty good on their feeding time.
  • i dont have a water test kit but for petsmart its just fine!?! :S

Petsmart also told you that it was ok to add balloon mollies :(

Not to sound disrespectful, but please don't take their advice too seriously. The folks on this board have years of goldfish experience and we've seen too many people get bad advice from pet stores. But thankfully you're here now so we can offer some help :D

You need to get that water tested again, I can bet that your nitrates are very, very high.

For a goldfish tank that is stocked at a healthy level, we recommend a water change routine of 50% a week or so. Given that you are very overstocked, you need to do much larger, more frequent water changes. I'd recommend at least 75% as soon as you can as a short term solution. But ultimately, you need to rehome some fish or upgrade to a much larger tank.

The behavior you're seeing is likely because your fish are suffering the effects of overcrowding associated with poor water quality, so the sooner you can get that water changed and re-tested, the better.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Guest arron88

i went to petsmart 10 mins ago to get the water tested once again and i told him the situation, he tested the water and told me not to change the water till next month and he said for 60 gallon tank 14 fishes are not that many. he once again said the water is fine. he was the manager the guy i talked, the big fish i got is called oranda he said and he told me that i should not do water change wait for 2 weeks and let him know what happens. why did he say 2 weeks i think he just doesnt want to get the fish back if he dies, i dont care about the money as long as fishes live happy.

First get the numbers from the test or get an API drop test kit so we can see whats going on.

Second weekly water changes at least 50 to 75% for a healthy tank. For yours I would do daily that much or more.

It takes months for a tank to cycle and in the mean time it can kill your fish and make them sick if you don't keep up the water changes.

Last pick the fish you want to keep rehome or take back the rest. That is WAY to many for your tank when they get full grown.

I would keep either five fancies or just three comets.

The number of fish you have may be ok in a cycled tank with the huge filters pet shop use for a short time but not going to work long term.

Good luck

14 tropical fish in that tank wouldn't be bad, but goldfish are big waste producers. Comets are long active fish, and they simply need a lot of room to move. Fancies get big, and they are round -- they have a lot of mass. Just measuring their length isn't enough for determining stocking.

Do you understand about cycling? Tanks go through a process in which the beneficial bacteria becomes established, and those BBs help control the waste products released by your fish and from any missed food. That takes time, and until you have a cycle, your fish are more at risk of dangerous toxic buildup. The buildup of waste in the water will harm the fish. They eat and breath the water they poop in -- they need clean fresh water regularly.

If you are going to rely on the pet store for test results, at the least, get the numbers. Don't take, "It's fine," for an answer. Also, it appears that you are testing right after a water change. It should be fine then.

To be blunt, you are getting very bad advice from the pet store employee. As others have already pointed out, goldfish are not the same as tropical fish and produce much more waste. If you go another 2 weeks without a water change, you will lose fish :(

If you're not sure about the terms we're using, start by reading this info about cycling a tank, it explains how toxic substances build up in your water. If you like, you can also print it off and bring it to the employee (but if he feels he is an expert, he may not be very receptive).

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Also, here's some great info on why water changes are needed. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14157-water-change-how-often/

Obviously, the advice we're giving you is much different from what you've gotten from the pet store employee. It's your choice who you listen to, but please do hear us out. You really have too many fish in an uncycled tank, they ARE going to get sick if you don't give them more space and increase the water changes :( :(

Guest arron88

okay i'm gonna stick with what u guys are saying, i will do 75% water change and i will get rid of all those comets... and what type of water tester should i get online, i wont get nothing from petsmart anymore...

your getting good advise already. Just remember, sometimes when you go to these large chain pet stores, the employees dont know what they are talking about or they dont care.

Sometimes you get lucky and find some employees who do know what they are talking about. In this case the person you are talking to is giving bad advise. Trust the people here as they have helped me save some of my fish in the past

okay i'm gonna stick with what u guys are saying, i will do 75% water change and i will get rid of all those comets..

:clapping: I was hoping you would say that :clapping:

It's your choice to boycott the store, but if you really need a test kit I'm sure you can find one to buy locally rather than wait for online shipping. It's not the store itself I was warning against, but the misinformed employee.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

ugh, i actually ate sushi the other day but tried not to think about what i was doing. It was eel anyway

Ha! So it was cooked? I love teriyaki eel on rice or as a nigiri roll, but that's COOKED eel :P

ugh, i actually ate sushi the other day but tried not to think about what i was doing. It was eel anyway

Ha! So it was cooked? I love teriyaki eel on rice or as a nigiri roll, but that's COOKED eel :P

Yes, eels have no feelings anyway :rofl

Guest arron88

just washed the filters, still doing the water change, i will give like 3 comets to one of my friend and will return the rest tmr... i will post a photo at the end ;)

Arron, you really should read this. It's about filters. If you over-clean them, you can loss the beneficial bacteria that you need for your tank. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94732-simple-media-setup-for-hob-filters/

Guest arron88

done with the water change. black moor is just laying on the bottom of the tank :S i just read the article about filters i just held them under the water for a min or two, i didnt wash them all... and blackmoor is acting like this because of the water change?