Sign in to follow this  
goldygal

blue vs chocolate

Hello all, I was just told by a lady whom imports fancy goldfish right from China that the blue color is not as stable as chocolate is.

The Chinese place she orders from passed on this info to her for her customers just so they are prepared when they get these blues and they don't stay blue.

Any thoughts on this?

I think this is true. A lot of blue fish eventually turn white, or mostly white with orange spots.

I really think it depends on the depth of the blue, if you get a blue with a lot of bronzy patches those tend to go orange, but if they're steel coloured pretty much all over I understand it's pretty stable, ditto chocolate - if it's solid and matte there's a very good chance it'll stay, but it is always a guessing game. In terms of keeping bright fish to look at we should be grateful they go orange or white instead of their natural greeny brown...

In terms of keeping bright fish to look at we should be grateful they go orange or white instead of their natural greeny brown...

But I would love to have a natural greenish brown goldfish D:

Lol you better get fishing then! There's probably one in a river near you somewhere!

:rofl Who knows what I find there!

I was hoping to get some natural colored ones out of the single tail fry. A breeder told me that shubunkin x metallic orange yields about 50% of natural colored fry Of course now I got 3 shubies and one green going white metallic. Pffffft.

i have a fish that was almost all chocolate when i got him (75%?) but thats chnged to almost panda colored (black/blue and white)

Blue and chocolate are both diluted variants of black. From what I know the diluted colours can change just as much as the original mutation colours (black, orange and white). But as with all colours the colour change degree is genetic. Since goldfish are tetraploids (they get one set of 4 chromosomes from each parent) the degree of colour alteration changes in 1/8ths. Food for thought.

Thanks for the replies, interesting. I have a funny feeling that these goldies will be a mix of everything but will see once I get there. Then this other place that ordered chocolate and blue orandas in from China wants $65.00 each for these colors. I am not going to pay this when I don't know if the colors will hold or not. Its a bit steep for a goldfish that will most likely change color. I will post though if I come back with any.

Say Midnight can you post a pic of your oranda you are talking about?

Well we just stopped at this fish store on the trip here, I hit the jackpot. Although not perfect I now have myself a Chocolate Oranda and a solid white Ranchu. The ranchu has orange around his eyes, not on the skin but on the eye, he is just so adorable and such a nice white. I hope he stays this color. He is such a nice looking ranchu, nice body and all.

The oranda while not perfect is the closest thing to perfect I have seen, I just hope he stays this color and they are not tiny babies so that is another good thing. The oranda has head growth so here is keeping fingers crossed that he stays chocolate for me.

I will have to post pics once we get home and get them settled.

You better get home soon then! :D

White fish usually stay white, so you might not need to worry about the ranchu :D

I'm pretty new to shubies but what I've heard is the blueish ones are the ideal and show the healthiest of traits. I'd love to know if that's just some rumor or real or not.

Yes a true calico shubunkin will have 4 colours. blue black red and white. I think varying shades are allowed

must have that blue hue :)

i believe it varies from diet and amount of natural sunglight to maintain that color....same for most goldfish diet and sunlights brings out the colors

I bought the most beautiful adult blue oranda a few years ago. He was the perfect gun metal blue color with no green patches. He was a bout 6 inches when I got him. About 6 months after I bought him he started turning white with a few red spots. Now he's lost almost all his blue and nearing 10 inches.

silver210-30-2011.jpg

My chocolate pom pom stayed chocolate for about a year and a half and is now fading to a dull orange. I had a chocolate oranda about 17 years ago that remained a beautiful copper color her whole life. She grew rather big too.

your oranda is beautiful!