New Tank! Fluffy gets a mansion!

Hi everyone. I'm excited! I got a new tank from CL. It's 55 acrylic and it came with stand, light and various filters - also some free decorations and rocks. It's in pretty good shape, just a couple of scratches on the top that won't show, and a weird coating on the bottom that looks like river rocks (or so I tell myself). I paid $180 which seemed pretty good until I got home and did some research about the filters.

It came with a Whisper Power Filter 3, and a fluval 205 canister filter and I believe it's going to be under-filtered with these two. Can anyone tell me the gph of the Whisper PF 3? I have found conflicting info on it - ranging from 105 gph to 250.

The fluval only does 105 gph, and while I know that you can have less gph with a canister, I don't think it will be enough. The guy I bought it from has a fluval 405 (264 gph), which he'd probably sell me. I think he'd give me the 405 in exchange for the 205 and some cash. But I still think it won't be enough. If I got the fluval 405 and the PF3 does indeed do 250, then that might work at (514 gph)??

So I guess I'm looking for advice on filtration for my new tank. Any ideas?

Now for the exciting part - planning for new fishies. I'm planning right now on 2 ranchu and a school of maybe 10 white cloud mountain minnows, and lots of new plants. I'm hoping to make this a rather heavily planted, bare bottom hybrid, which will assuage my desire for a tropical jungle tank. I don't think I have the juice for maintaining 3 tanks! (Altho' that's what I said about having 2 tanks for the longest time).

YAY!!

Hi Fang, the filter looks like this, although the plastic is clear, not black. It has a label on it that says Second Nature Whisper Power Filter 3.

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/5f/d0/fe/29577179-260x260-0-0_Tetra%20Tetra%20Whisper%20Power%20Filter%2060%2030%2060%20Gallon.jpg

The image says it's a Whisper Power Filter 60 - which is good news for me. I'll take a picture of the actual filter I have tonight when I get home.

Congratulations can't wait to see pics of it planted. I set up my new 59 gal tonight, it's filled with water and up and running, all I need now is a bottle of ammonia and I'm in business. Its sitting right next to my 26 gal and it makes it look sooo tiny lol. Now I have about what - 700 lbs of water in an upstairs room. So I hope there is a support beam under that wall. I'm planning to move the 26 gal to the bathroom once I get the larger tank cycled and move the fish into it. Mine is empty and I don't know what I want to do with it, so I'd love to see pics of yours when you get it planted!

Edited by CindyGen