2 male bettas with a tank divider?

Midnight112x

so im a betta noob but i have had Christian Troy for a few months now. He is in a 2.5 gallon all by his lonesome. I have an empty ten gallon that i can throw a tiny filter on. Would it make sense to put a tank divider in the 10 gallon (most likely a clear one) and put another betta in there to keep him company? If its a good idea, should i put another male or female?

By the way, its terrible where they keep bettas in the fish stores. Maybe a cup of water.

I think it all depends on the bettas. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it does not. I had a 10 gal. split tank with two male bettas on each side and it did not work out for me. Both bettas seemed to be very stressed out and they ended up tail biting and shredding their tails :(. Eventually I had to put one in a 5 gal. tank and leave the other one in the 10 gal. tank.

I hope that helps you out a bit lol.

Unfortunately male and female bettas cannot be kept together either, the male is very aggressive and can kill the female. If you just have the one male now I would suggest giving him his own 10 gallon, he will love you for it. For keeping bettas together, all females works fine, just don't overcrowd.

My personal opinion is keeping two bettas in a dividided tank does nothing but stress the fish :(

They don't get lonely, they're solitary fish (except when it comes to mating) so no need to feel bad :)

If you really wanted to, you could move him into the 10 gallon with a snail or some shrimp.

I think a tank divider can work, if you add a lot of cover along the divider to keep the fish mostly hidden from each other. Like plant a line of anacharis on each side of the divider, and run a small filter on each side.

A divider with a male and female will be just as much stress. The boy might get all excited over having a girl, but being separated will cause stress just like with two males.

If you just want "company" for the fish (which is more for yourself as the betta most likely will not care for his "buddy" ) you got the option of snails, shrimp (may get eaten) or african dwarf frogs, if your tank is fully covered. Especially when you use the 10gallon tank, there is a good amount of room for entertaining things for the betta. Caves, a densely planted area, some floating plants, a sideways flower pot.

In case you want to add snails, keep in mind though that the snails require a much higher hardness and pH than the betta, who prefers soft water with a lower pH. The african dwarf frogs are not very picky. They are not very active either, but also don't need "much".

They are 100% aquatic, but yes it's best to provide them with something to rest on. They dont' get completely out of the water, but when the come up to breathe they like to rest their feet on something (like a plant, tall rock or ornament).

Divided tanks are fine for bettta. An opaque divider would best and or plants or ornaments next to the divider. The bettas will get used to each others presence, but it would best if they didn't see each other all the time.

Keep in mind though if you mess up or if your divider is not secure in a small tank and your betta(s) get(s) through the divider, the result may be a fight and or a dead betta.

This IHO is the main disadvantage of a divided betta tank.

Edited by Au-fish

I have kept Betta's in divided tanks on and off for about 6 years and never had a problem with stress and I've kept both combo's male/male and male /female the only thing I didn't like about them is how to keep the water filtered on both sides???this past year i did it with under gravel filter and it worked well for me :)

i just got him a heater because his water was getting cold and winter is approaching. Ill look into getting a shrimp or a frog for the 10 gallon i just need a cover for it now. it seems covers cost almost as much as a tank