Sign in to follow this  
Guest Goldfishy743

Is my goldfish pregnant, or just chubby?

Guest Goldfishy743

Can someone tell me if my goldfish is pregnant?

I have other goldfish with her and I know shes a girl,

but I don't know about the others,

i do feed them a lot, but shes grown rather large these last few weeks, can someone just tell me if shes pregnant?

I'm worried if she has them, the other goldfish will eat them, so I need to figure everything out,

Thank You, here is a picture,

Here is what she use to look like,

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/spunk743/GoldfishD.jpg

And here is what she looks like now,

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/spunk743/1024111546.jpg

Please someone help, thank you.

It's very possible your lovely calico oranda has a belly full of eggs. Goldfish don't give birth to live babies. If she does release eggs, she and the other goldfish will probably gobble them up, but that's not bad for them at all -- good protein. :) You'll need to do a water change if things are too messy.

How long is your fish? It's less common (but not unheard of) for fish under 3" or so to release eggs.

Guest Goldfishy743

Well I want the babies!=D If she does have them lol. But I'd say shes right around 3 inches or so.

She looks like she was a tiny baby when you got her. Very young calicos have that distinctive see through pink around the gills that is obvious in the first pic. The first year is when fish do a large amount of their growing (or do not and get stunted as a result :( ) How many weeks/months have you had her? :)

Have you seen any chasing of her by the other fish? How much do you feed? She could well be gravid, even very young females can release eggs although not usually before 10 months to one year old.

Guest Goldfishy743

I've had her a few months, probably close to a half a year. She was kinda little when I got her, but I feed them quite often, but not that much to where she would be that huge that fast.

wow she is big, let us know what happens

This might be a little late but it's still a fascinating video related to your question.

This might be a little late but it's still a fascinating video related to your question.

interesting vid :) Hand spawning can be very dangerous (and fatal!) if you're inexperienced. :undecided:

Really cool video! I know hand-spawning can rupture the fish's insides, but this guy seems like he knows what he's doing!

Really cool video! I know hand-spawning can rupture the fish's insides, but this guy seems like he knows what he's doing!

Agreed! :) the thought of it scares me a bit :)

I saw him squeezing the belly of goldfish, a group yellow stuff, is it excreta?

Edited by WadeHard

That is an Awesome video !!! While watching I was thinking..., I hope my 2 orandas r male & female :o

I saw him squeezing the belly of goldfish, a group yellow stuff, is it excreta?

No that coloring is the roe, fish eggs. If you ever have them at a fancy restaurant they are quite delicious. As for goldfish roe... I have no idea.

The part two video after that clip plays is scary. It looks like the fish was out of water waaaay too long and he pushed on the belly too hard. The 2nd video is a definite do not do example in my opinion.

He was so casual about scooping the fish up and moving them around. I was impressed.

He is a very experienced fishkeeper. From what I understand, he is responsible for reviving the veiltail breed in the United States, and I believe started the Philly veil line.

Video freaked me out a little. Fish must have thought they were in a washing machine!

Video freaked me out a little. Fish must have thought they were in a washing machine!

:rofl spin cycle!

got it on my first try but i had years of holding fish upside down so i was able to controll the wriggling thats one of the things that makes it leathal

Did you manage to get the eggs fertilized? I tried this technique once and none of the eggs made it. :( I was trying to go for just telelscopes since my male shubunkins are so dominant in that department.