Penguin/Emperor vs. AquaClear

kazaba

So recently, I've been thinking about getting rid of my penguin 350 & emperor 400 filters that are currently on my 75 gallon. They work just fine, but they are a little noisy and sometimes it's hard to stuff filter media in there without it floating up to jam the biowheel. :doh11: Also, because I have some smaller fish, I need to baffle the filter outputs with filter floss. It's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the flow.

I've heard such great things about the AC filters... I'm thinking of maybe getting an AC110 and AC70 to replace the filters currently on the 75. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated ;)

I would go with the ACs. They are so much more versatile, quieter, and the adjustable flow rate is great. I would get two AC110s, because if you need, you can always turn them both down to the middle to lower the flow rate :)

I only have 1 AC in use and hate it. It has a really slow flow for some reason. It has the supplied media in it so that shouldn't slow it down. I rinsed the media out and cleaned the filter, no help there. And there are only 2 1 inch babies in the tank. It is really frustrating.

This is my 3rd AC. The first two crapped out on me in less than 8 months put together.

I bought an emperor 400 last year for my first tank...I couldn't stand the noise. I read about the AC filters and bought one...now I have nine of them going and wouldn't trade them for anything.

I have two AC 110 on my 75g. I had intended to buy a 110 and use my existing AC70, but the AC 70 wouldn't fit on the 75g tank lip. The salesman said this happens frequently depending on the make of the tank. That's something to check out before you buy. The 110's fit fine.

I would go with the ACs. They are so much more versatile, quieter, and the adjustable flow rate is great. I would get two AC110s, because if you need, you can always turn them both down to the middle to lower the flow rate :)

That's a great idea, Alex! I just ordered two 110s, and I'll have to try that out...

I only have 1 AC in use and hate it. It has a really slow flow for some reason. It has the supplied media in it so that shouldn't slow it down. I rinsed the media out and cleaned the filter, no help there. And there are only 2 1 inch babies in the tank. It is really frustrating.

This is my 3rd AC. The first two crapped out on me in less than 8 months put together.

Hmm, that is very strange that you've had such bad luck with the AC filters... The ones I've ordered will go back if I run into anything like that. I'll keep my penguin & emperor on hand just in case...

I have two AC 110 on my 75g. I had intended to buy a 110 and use my existing AC70, but the AC 70 wouldn't fit on the 75g tank lip. The salesman said this happens frequently depending on the make of the tank. That's something to check out before you buy. The 110's fit fine.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up! I hope I won't have a problem, as I'm getting two 110s, and you said the AC 70 gave you problems.

I've always had canisters, but I got an Emperor 400 a few years ago when I bought a new 29 gallon tank. It was outrageously noisy and I ditched it within a few months. Yuck!

Yeah, I am really not a fan of how loud these filters are... it's a lot better now that the tank isn't in my bedroom, but it's still a headache! I do think that they've gotten a little quieter with use, but I'm really just looking to upgrade! I have thought about using canisters before, but they seem like they can be a pain :( maybe someday...

That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish with the AC's.. I think I'm going to record the sound of my biowheel filters and compare it to a recording of the new AC's. Hopefully there will be a great difference, and I can post back here with resutls! :)

I have eight AC's running in my tanks and one as a backup for a total of nine. I've been using AC's for over two years and I'd put them up against anything. Their overall performance, ease of maintenance, and relative low level of noise makes them number one in my opinion. You can't go wrong. :ehh