Sign in to follow this  
bamboo_turtles

Ich and Goldfish

Knock on wood ..... I do not have ich on my goldfish and I HOPE I do not have to deal with ich and cold temps. But for preparations , how does cure ich with goldies since these fish have hard tolerence of temps above 75 F ? I would love to read some experiences of dos and donts , opinions , etc.

Thanks in advance !

First, I would like to say that goldfish can tolerate well above 75. Currently, my house is 77 degrees, and my goldfish are rather active at that temp. Some people actually add a heater in their tanks to keep goldfish at 75-78 degrees. My fish have been at 77 since spring, and next month when we go to winter mode, the house & tank temps will down accordingly to 70. So, even though goldfish are often referred to as "cold water" fish, they actually can live in a wide range of temps. You just should not have fluctuating temps in your tank much.

Secondly, ich can be cured easily most times with just pure sodium chloride and heat (80 degrees, to hasten lifecycle of ich and treatment time). I hope your fish don't have ich either, but if they do, please post and we will be happy to help :)

Edited by dnalex

I found out recently, thanks to Alex, that Ich is not a death-sentence! :D