Sign in to follow this  
bamboo_turtles

Value of Goldfish ?

What are some of the factors that determine the price value of goldfish ? I've seen some nice $300 4" ranchus but then I've seen some screaming beauties $27.99 PetsMart Goldies . Although it's rare , but some of those $27.99 PetsMart Ryukins look as good as those $150 animals. I'm not sure how PetsMart warehouse picks their goldies but most of their small goldies are poor quality as oppose to their large ( 6 + inch ) goldies seem to be much high quality . I will not even step foot into Petco , if they aren't dead floating or stuck against the filter , they have ich .

I personally don't think there's a goldfish on this planet worth $100, let alone $300. It's a fish.

And I will probably be called out on this, but I think spending that kind of money on a fish is...stupid. There are children starving in Africa; I don't need a $300 fish. >.>

Edited by Azlaier

Price typically goes up for both size and quality of physical attributes. A fish may cost $300 because it is show quality, whereas another similar fish may cost $30 because it has some imperfections. I believe that the fish sold at chains are typically the culls from a breeder (so they are not show quality and have imperfections in one way or another).

I don't see any issue in paying a more significant price for a higher quality fish, if you have the funds to do it and it is what you want (you have to do what makes you happy in life sometimes ;)). You are not only paying for the physical qualities of the fish, but also knowing where it came from and the conditions it was in before your purchase.

I refused to buy from any of the stores near me simply because they did not take care of the fish! All the fish had ich, were stunted, and in super overcrowded sad tanks filled with other dead fish. I didn't want to support that, so I paid a little more to get fish that I knew came from a breeder who cared about the wellbeing and health of the fish. You can definitely find beautiful fish for less money and I personally don't care about some imperfections, to me it is more about whether or not to support a store based on the quality of care they provide. People pay a heck of a lot more money for pure bred dogs. Just because it is a fish doesn't mean it is any less valuable than any other pet.

Just because it is a fish doesn't mean it is any less valuable than any other pet.

:exactly

My three current goldfish are from Petmart's in my area that actually take good care of their fish. I even had the gal question what kind of set-up I had. None of them are show quality, but they are beautiful and perfect in my eyes (sorry that sounds really corny). When people are very passionate about something, they are willing to put a lot of money towards it. Especially when it comes to high quality animals. I don't see anything wrong with it. I know of someone that spent $30,000 on a Crested Gecko.

You can't take money with you, might as well spend it on something you love. :P

Edited by LionCalie

LOL,VERY OFTEN the shipping is more than $100.00 :P As a matter of fact I've NEVER paid under that for shipping :yikes

I personally don't think there's a goldfish on this planet worth $100, let alone $300. It's a fish.

And I will probably be called out on this, but I think spending that kind of money on a fish is...stupid. There are children starving in Africa; I don't need a $300 fish. >.>

You are right, I am calling you out. Wow...that is rude. I personally haven't spent that much on one fish but I wouldn't call the people that have stupid. There are likely a lot of members on here that you have just offended. I am starting to wonder if you think before you type.

To the OP, I believe that if you are comfortable with what you are spending and you believe it is worth it, go for it :) One of my favorite fish is a 4.99 oranda from Petsmart. Another is a 2.99 angelfish from the lfs.

You are right, I am calling you out. Wow...that is rude. I personally haven't spent that much on one fish but I wouldn't call the people that have stupid. There are likely a lot of members on here that you have just offended. I am starting to wonder if you think before you type.

I have to say I agree with Ashlee, Joshua. Think of how much your family spent on your purebred lab, and then try to tell people they can't spend $100-300 on their pet of choice...

Edited by Sakura

Ok, ok, let's not get offended :) I'm sure no one meant any harm, we all have our opinions.

Now, I wouldn't spend the money purebred anything- any animal including goldfish, just for those traits.

I don't see the value in "show quality" goldfish. I'd rather have happy, healthy fish than fish that have specific physical attributes that align to some certain "standard." None of my fish cost more than $5 and none were shipped to me. More expensive goldfish are not necessarily healthier, in fact, they may be extra stressed from shipping when they get to your tank and those extreme features they are selected for may make them weaker. For example an almost spherical "show" ryukin you get for $100 will likely have more floating problems than a more elongated "pet store quality" ryukin. Or, an oranda selected for a huge "show quality" wen is more likely to have its wen grow over its eyes and necessitate wen trimming than a less-wenned "pet quality" oranda.

That said, the price value is determined really by the selected population these fish are being sold to. To the general public, no one's spending $100 for a goldfish. To certain hobbyists, those extreme traits are worth an extra hundred here and there. Those expensive fish, IMO, are not worth it for the look, but to many people it is. To each their own, I suppose.

I have to say I agree with Ashlee, Joshua. Think of how much your family spent on your purebred lab, and then try to tell people they can't spend $100-300 on their pet of choice...

I agree. I find it a bit hypocritical of Azlaier to say that.

I myself would absolutely love to be able to buy a fancy goldfish from say DO ...but do not have those kind of funds :( I'm not saying I don't love my 7.99$$ goldfish from my lps near me,but I don't see as much of the variety here as you do online...So if I'm looking for something special I can either pay the price for online auction fish,or keep looking in my area with fingers crossed ;) which is what i am willing to do,as Hubby would NEVER let me buy a goldfish for say $50.00 ;) LOL

Our $5 Petsmart ryukin has grown into a great looking fish, and I usually see one or two nicer fish in their tanks. Can true quality be determined in a young 1-inch fish?

I myself would absolutely love to be able to buy a fancy goldfish from say DO ...but do not have those kind of funds :( I'm not saying I don't love my 7.99$$ goldfish from my lps near me,but I don't see as much of the variety here as you do online...So if I'm looking for something special I can either pay the price for online auction fish,or keep looking in my area with fingers crossed ;) which is what i am willing to do,as Hubby would NEVER let me buy a goldfish for say $50.00 ;) LOL

Same here. Also, I'm not an experiences enough fish-keeper to spend a bundle on a fish. However, I would like a couple of the breeds that I never see in the lfs, and I would pay more to get them.

Azlaier is correct that buying expensive goldfish is a little frivolous. But I can admit to being frivolous sometimes. ;)

i buy show quality fish, because i want show quality fish. i am not shy to spend $500 per fish on the only hobby i have and because i can. i am committed to look after them, just like i did my show quality dogs (that lived full term)..

i expect nothing back from them but the beauty i found in them. if they thrive in my care, that's awesome.

if someone wants to call me stupid because i am happy to support my hobby that i am very passionate about.. meh! whatever. you know what? i'm happy, they're happy and i still donate to charity and help my community.

an example to the OP..

i have 10 - 12 inch ryukins. some have come from singapore, they have minor defects, ie, slightly bent fins (almost unnoticable), they cost me $280 each without shipping. i also have some from Japan, they are flawless, a breeding couple and they cost me $450 a piece without shipping.

Azlaier, my show quality white german shepherds cost me $2800 each, they lived close enough to 16 years and cost me $70 pw in food alone (not calculating medical expenses)

everyone has hobbies.. no-one can judge what people prefer to spend their hard earned dollars on.

one of my businesses is car parts. i have customers that own cars here that are non registerable for road use. so they can only drive them 3-4 days per year on club supported days and only on a race track. that doesn't stop them from spending min $5k a pop to build/repair their cars.

it is wrong to use harsh words such as stupid, you can say that you disagree with expensive gold fish. sure.. but rest assured, when someone is passionate about something, they will pay whatever they can afford in order to get it.

Well said Helen :)

I would pay a couple hundred for some of the fish I see here on Koko's!

IF I could afford to. I can't, and won't judge those who can/do!!

I did pay $425 for our parrot. It was a choice we made as a family. He will hopefully be part of our lives for decades! I saved for him. At a time where our other expenses were less.

There are people who pay $300 for a pair of jeans, $600 for shoes. I won't/can't, but good for them if they choose to spend THEIR money on those.

Edited by Red

I have to agree, that is a rude comment that was made earlier, especially given the recent conversation about purebred dogs not so long ago. I understand that not everyone agrees with paying a lot of money for a goldfish, and it's fine to state that, but saying it is 'stupid' is disrespectful, there are better ways to voice an opinion. It's very likely that every person on this board spends some of their disposable income in ways that others might deem 'stupid'....be that on video games, books, clothing, knitting supplies, photography, car parts...whatever, we all have hobbies and interests that aren't necessary but we enjoy and choose to spend money on. It's not our place here to judge others for that.

Anyway, back to the topic. Here's my take on it. Professional goldfish breeders who are very serious about the hobby work very, very hard to perfect their lines (just like competitive dog breeders). They produce a lot of fish but only keep the 'cream of the crop' to breed again. That takes time and effort, they produce something that is considered rare and highly valuable, that is why they charge so much.

But other goldfish producers are also breeding 'pure bred' goldfish (e.g. orandas, ranchus), however much less care is given to the quality of their lines. It is mass production for the pet industry and the fish are sold in bulk at a low cost. It just happens every now and then that the crosses made by those producers do result in very beautiful, maybe even show quality, fish. However most lfs workers and owners don't recognize those fish as exceptional and just charge the same for them as they would for any other specimen.

I think enough's been said on the "buying expensive fish is stupid" comment (although for the record, Azlaier, I adopted my dog AND my cat from a shelter for less than $100, and you should be aware that some people think the breeding and purchasing of purebred dogs is "stupid" for many, many reasons), so I won't say more than that.

I didn't start to spend more than about $15 each on goldfish until I was confident that I could keep them healthy and happy. I made all the rookie goldie-keeper mistakes back when I started keeping them, many years ago (overcrowding, not enough water changes, neglecting to QT new fish, etc.). Once I had mastered the basics and was reasonably confident that if my fish were going to die, it would (hopefully) not be from things I could control, I started to invest in higher quality goldies.

For me, it's all about the aesthetics. I just truly appreciate the look of a really nice ranchu. The smooth back, the nicely tucked tail, the cheeky wen, the good color balance -- those things personally increase my enjoyment of my fish, and I get tremendous pleasure out of looking at them. It doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy goldfish from the LFS -- I have! But at the place I am in the hobby at the moment, I'm really digging my purchased-online fish. My hobby makes me happy, as it should.

I was giving this weighty topic some thought as I was cutting/individually sealing/then bagging massive amounts of gel food. BTW<I can guarantee there are plenty of people out there who would lock me up based on that info alone :peeka My 1st thought is that it is absolutely no one's business how much I do or do not spend on fish. 2) I can barely think of anything less that I feel I need to defend.3)Regarding the 'it's a fish' comment- to take it furtherSome people think,"It's just a dog for crying out loud",as they neglect and or abuse said animals(just look at the SPCA ads on TV!), which I not only disagree with,but would go down fighting for the animal's rights.And who has the right to say where that line is drawn?4) There are MANY PEOPLE in the world who cannot afford a car,but that does not mean I am going to give mine up.5) There are many peeps in the world who spend 100s of 1000s of $$ on cars-and the only reason I think it's ridiculous is that I cannot afford to do the same :yeah: The point is,I LOVE my goldies,and I found Koko's trying to do the very best for them,and it is in fact why I keep coming back. Geez, let's just be glad that 1 of the ?s at the top of some of the pages is NOT *And how much did you pay for this fish"! :glare: And lastly, I don't need to go as far as Africa to find starving children,and the applicability of them to goldfish makes almost as much sense to me as it used to make when my parents would bewail this same point when I did not finish all the food on my plate :hmm Let's just stay on the topic of helping our finned friends ;)

Let's just leave the word stupid out of it.....it has no place amongst our friends at Koko's. You're entitled to your opinion but you're treading on thin ice, young man. Many members including myself want show quality fish and are fortunate enough to afford them. Everyone else has said what I wanted to say so I'm not going to beat a dead horse here. Just remember....Stupid is as stupid does......and calling Batman stupid is definitely not nice! :madrant

Well, that would apply to a lot of things. Like a TV. Nobody needs a TV while children in Africa are starving, yet we spend hundreds of $ on the latest HD model, or a brand new car while a used car works just as great. It's just a matter of what hobby is important to someone. Some spend a lot of money on an extensive DVD collection, others on clothes, others on a show grade fish :)

As for the original topic, it all goes by show quality standards. I agree though, there often are absolute treasures to be found at your local petstore. I think many of these show quality fish you find for < $ 20 at a pet store are lucky finds where the breeder breeds in masses and might either not notice that he has a little treasure like that, or simply does not know that this actually is a treasure.

Still I am sure that actual show quality bred fish have higher show quality-quality (what a sentence). Little details that your average goldfish owner might not notice, but a show judge will point out within three seconds. These very expensive fish also cost more because (I assume) they have received much better care from the breeder than the mass produced fish at chain LFS. They grew up with much more water volume per fish. That means either less fish or larger facilities, more water used, higher quality food which of course is more expensive than whatever the mass producers feed their fish.

The fish get culled, which again means less fish per batch of fry. At LFS you often see fish with deformities, imperfect fins etc. But because some breeders keep them and sell them in bulk to the LFS, they can afford selling these fish for a much lower price than a professional show quality breeder who might end up with only 5% of the original hatched fry.

:redcard:stop Ok guys Enough.

Stakos great post :thumb:

:redcard:stop Ok guys Enough.

Stakos great post :thumb:

thanks hun.. it's all coming from the heart :heart

But other goldfish producers are also breeding 'pure bred' goldfish (e.g. orandas, ranchus), however much less care is given to the quality of their lines. It is mass production for the pet industry and the fish are sold in bulk at a low cost. It just happens every now and then that the crosses made by those producers do result in very beautiful, maybe even show quality, fish. However most lfs workers and owners don't recognize those fish as exceptional and just charge the same for them as they would for any other specimen.

Amen to hat!

I just think its everyone's choice, if they have that kid of money then why not?

I saw a huge oranda with great coloring, body shape and a nice big wen and fins for £25.99 the other day, i thought it was a bargain!

I didn't realize people here would be so touchy about someone's spending limit concerning goldfish.

I do tend to agree there is a limit that a person should spend on hobbies, but I'll leave it at that.

One aspect to keep in mind when buying a goldfish is their lifespan, makes them more worthwhile to spend money on. I think I wasted too much money on bettas considering their short live spans. Even more so considering their possible genetic issues.

One aspect to keep in mind when buying a goldfish is their lifespan, makes them more worthwhile to spend money on.

That's a good point. :)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I didn't realize people here would be so touchy about someone's spending limit concerning goldfish.

I don't believe people were being touchy about spending limits. Rather people were objecting to the word "stupid" being used to describe people who decide to put more than a few dollars into a goldfish. That is the community reprimanding a member for precipitous choice of words, not being touchy over an opinion.

I do tend to agree there is a limit that a person should spend on hobbies, but I'll leave it at that.

Absolutely. There is a limit, to be set by each person. That is each person's prerogative. :)

Edited by dnalex