Opinions / Experiences on Flakes and Sinking Pellets

bamboo_turtles

Today with my new goldfish purchases , I'm going to start out trying Omega One Goldfish flakes , API Goldfish sinking pellets , Zoomed Earthworm and Spirulina flakes . Anyone have experience with API sinking pellets ? From my experience , their medication is hit or miss.

I'd just simply go with Omega One sinking goldfish pellets. They are high quality, one of the staples for my fish and other people on this forum.

Most people advice against flakes in general as they are less nutritious and cause the fish to swallow excess air when slurping up the flakes at the surface.

Omega is great. Or New Life Spectrum, Saki Hikari, and Pro-Gold. All are sinking pellets. :)

I vote for Pro-Gold! :D

And yeah, I would avoid the flakes.

The only "flakes" I use for my goldies, are not really flakes. I get the Spirulina flakes from Rick at GC. They are more like a flattened out pellet. They help with floatiness.

I like those too. I always describe them as being like a sinking piece of Cocoa Pebbles cereal. :D

I have to be careful not to feed it more than a couple times a week, though -- that spirulina can definitely affect the color on white fish!

Edited by RanchuDressing

I prefer flakes. When I switched from flakes to pellets one of my fish got dropsy... of course it is not necessarily the cause, but it seems rather scary that it happened at the same time. Flakes are not less nutritious than pellets, in fact, they have the same ingredient. It is a concern that the minerals and vitamins may leach out of them faster than pellets, but my fish finish them fast enough that I doubt that would be significant. They never had problems on flakes, only pellets...

Whenever I soak my pellets, my fish couldn't care less about them. I wonder if soaking them takes the flavor away? I feed Omega One and soak for maybe 2 mins at the most.

I decided to use presoaked flakes , Omega One , along with a few other brands , along with occassional peas , fruits , and frozen bloodworms / brine shrimp. I'm thinking variety .

These are going to be the best fed fish in town. :D

Ranchu Dressing , what happens to a white fish if fed too much spirulina ? PLS dont say , turns green , LOL ......

Not green, I promise. But white fish who eat lots of spirulina (or foods that are supposed to be "color enhancing" and contain high levels of carotene) often get smears of orange color, both on the body and in the wen. It doesn't affect their health at all, of course. But I like my white goldfish to be white! :)

I feed the spirulina every morning and have white fish. Well, one white fish now..

I have not noticed a difference on Igor.Mae West's wen had become golden vs. white. What did you observe?

Mae West's golden wen could be from the spirulina, or it could just be what her genetics dictate her wen should look like. It's hard to say definitively. But when I've fed excess spirulina to white fish, the color "smear" was pretty distinctive -- it's not uniform spots of gold or yellow, more a random "smudging" on the body, and polka-dots of orange or yellow in the white wen.