should i be worried? swollen vent

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level-0
  • * Nitrite Level-0
  • * Nitrate level-8
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)-7.9
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?-drops
  • * Water temperature?-76
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?-80 gallons been running about a year now will be exactly a year in one month
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?- 2 emporer bio wheels NOt the penguin it filters 400gph per filter (i keep getting the emporer and the penguin ones mixed up and forgetting which one i have) and a whisper 30
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?- i do about 90-95 percent every thursday but im waiting 2 weeks before doing a water change again

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?- last one was like 5 days ago i did 100 percent
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?-just one fish about an inch long
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?-jungle start right water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?-homemade gel food 3 times per day sometimes 4 times
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?-no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?-no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?-vent is a bit swollen
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?-no

my lasy little fishy is aving a problem-i think

here are my tank prams though im really doubting that my test is giving me correct results and was planing on having my water tested by the local pet store in 2 weeks im also wondering to myself am i really so good at keeping a tank stable that for consistantly months the readings have always been the same? is that normal or should i ask is that even possable??anyways on to my little silver moon

today while feeding her i was jsut sitting in front of the tank watching her eat like i do sometimes and i thought i seen a big open sore on her hea and freaked out scooped her out of the tank to tanek a closer look but it turned out to be nothing but a patch of shiney scales i was relievd but then i noticed her vent was a little bit swollen and pink? she seems too young to lay eggs not to mention there has not been another fish in there for 5 or 6 days? should i be worried? i would i tried taking a picture but the swelling is not that noticable unless youve seen her normal vent. i havent noticed her poos so i dont know if those are normal or not but should i be worried? what causes a swollen vent?

I think swollen vents are not trivial, and this thread should probably be moved to the 911 section.

I think it is crucial that you upload some pics of the problem area.

I'm sorry you are having problems. :(

• Supporter

your params appear normal, and yes, it's quite normal that when you establish a strong cycle that your params remain the same when all is well.. however, with an 80 gallon and only the one fish in there and such water changes, i am surprised that you are even registering nitrates O.o so if you can get down to your LFS sooner to have the water teseted, that would be the best bet.

swollen vent can be either constipation, eggbound or bacterial.

you say that you've taken pics? i bet you've taken previous pics also, if you have an older pic to compare the recent pic to, that would be best. if you can post before and after shot, we can have a look and help you decide?

I'm sorry, Charity. :(

What antibiotics do you have on hand? Salt all the way to 0.3% may help, but I think you will need meds.

I think that given the frequency of sickness in your tank lately, it may be helpful to disinfect the tank entirely.

Edited by dnalex

• Supporter

i have moved this to 911.

now, for qt, you will need to use some of your cycled media to seed the qt filter for the cycle. we will need to commence salt treatment immediately with daily water changes. what anitbiotics do you have at hand?

i dont really see the point since shes the only fish in the tank but yes i can move her into my 20 gallon bare bottom QT.

do you think this could have anything to do with Ed having dropsy a while ago?

iDO have salt but i did not pick up the metro meds for the dropsy ed had becuase he died the day before i could order them should i roder some meds now? and if so what kind?

I'm sorry, Charity. :(

What antibiotics do you have on hand? Salt all the way to 0.3% may help, but I think you will need meds.

I think that given the frequency of sickness in your tank lately, it may be helpful to disinfect the tank entirely.

i think you are very very right should i also disinfect the filters and start the cycle over?

• Supporter

the reason why i think it's best you set the qt up is because you're gonna need to be doing daily water changes. the 20 gallon will be easier to maintain.. and i also agree that the 80 gallon will need to be stripped back and thorougly investigated to find where this bacteria is coming from.

i would not delay in setting up the qt.

alright i can do that what type of meds should i order i mean i know antibiotics but there are so many what kind is reccomended?

i have this feeling all of this was caused from putting my fish in my bfs tank all my fish were perfectly fine and healthy untill i had to move them for a week out to his tank every fish that has gone into that tank has died within a few months the first was an oscar got a IANT hold in its head then died next was a pair of oscars both of them quite eating,sat at the bottom and died within a week, the enxt was a fire mouth ciclid again wouldnt eat and died after about a week,next he got 4 cory cats who all there fins and whiskers rotted off and they died within about 5 months. he had 5 bubble eye goldies in that tank all of which the bubbles on there eyes broke open turned red/purple and they all died plus countless other tetras,commens,zebra fish,white clouds,catfish. i was so afraid to put tem in there but i was for sure they would have died in this tank becuase we had our power and water turned off for a week the second i put them in his tank they all sat on the bottom the entire time there pretty much or were gasping at the surface i thought if i did a 100 percent water change and took his filters off and put mine on ti would be ok

the reason why i think it's best you set the qt up is because you're gonna need to be doing daily water changes. the 20 gallon will be easier to maintain.. and i also agree that the 80 gallon will need to be stripped back and thorougly investigated to find where this bacteria is coming from.

the 20 gallon QT tank has been running for 3-4 years straight and is still running with its own filters so nothing to worry about there

• Supporter

WOW! i would never have chanced that in a million years! hun.. next time you're faced with something like that, let us know and we will advise you what's best to do.. that tank needed to be sterilized.. i would never have used it.

you would have been safer setting up a rubbermaid tank and using your filters in that. i am so sorry that you exposed your fish to whatever was going on in his tank!.

set up the qt, you're going to be doing daily water changes of 80% be prepared with salt.. start with 0.1%

can you get MetroMeds or JungleAP?

the 20 gallon QT tank has been running for 3-4 years straight and is still running with its own filters so nothing to worry about there

can you post water params for the qt?

Yes, I agree with Helen completely. I would like to re-iterate that QTs should always be dismantled and disinfected after each and every use so as to eliminate any possible bug sticking around. We put sick fish in there, after all, so after 3 years, that tank may harbor all kinds of things. :(

i know it was a bad idea moving my fish into his tank but it was either in my mind certian death or possable death i chose possable death i guess.

i wll order the meds right now and keep the daily water changes on the 20 gallon in the OT and the salt as well. thank you guys for all teh help i feel like such an idiot and a bad fishy owner :(

• Supporter

just ensure that you disinfect the qt now before you use it.

also, a cycle cannot be kept by just running the filter(s). the cycle needs to be fed ammonia for it to continue converting to nitrates. without a fish present or ammonia added, the cycle will die.

and rest assured, we've all made some terrible mistakes that we have learned from.. so please don't feel to bad, we're all still learning in this hobby... all of us.

yeh to keep the tank cycled without hte fish i would take old 80 gallon water and add to it for every top off (which was atleast a gallon a week as my room is very dry and warm) plus i test it before i add fish. i will go down and empty it and scrub it all down lord i sure hope i can save this little one :( :(

just wanted to update on silver moon i am still waiting for the metro meds to come in the mail so far no show:( silver moon has quit eating for the past few days and has done nothing but bottom sitting and gasping.

ive been doing 100 percent water changes daily on the 20 gallon and adding the salt also wanted to mention when i do the 100 percent changes ive been useing super hot water and a boiled scrub brush to scrub the walls of the tank clean along with the bottom

Hun, how is your fish doing now? Is he able to eat again after the salt treatment?

If he is still not eating and the sore has not healed, I would see if you can get hold of some kanamycin sulfate, it is a water antibiotic that can work very well on pseudomonas open sores like this looks like it could be. It is sold as Kanaplex by Seachem.