Sign in to follow this  
vwashbur

Pro Gold

So I've been reading through some forums and I've read a lot about Pro Gold goldfish food. I wanted some opinions on whether I should look into getting my fish some.

When Ponyo's mouth closed of significantly I began feeding peas, zucchini, and Hikari goldfish pellets because it was really all she could pass through and the other two didn't mind what they ate, so long as they ate. Haha But now, I've noticed she's been able to eat much more since she's grown a bit and I'm interested in making sure they receive the nutrients they need (plus I want them to grow to their full potential :flex: )

I'm wondering these things:

Will they cause constipation?

Are they floating or sinking pellets?

Are they really as good as the reviews say they are?

Any other points or comments are welcome. :)

Some times if you feed them to much yup they will get constipated, this happened to Charlie last week :o TD gave her alittle to much :o

They are sinking pellets. :thumb:

I think they are, I have been using it for years... When I got Charlie about a year and a half ago she about about 3" long she is now the size of a dollar bill. :thumb:

DSCN0209.jpg

I am all for Pro-Gold, but those pellets are huge. So you will have to crush them into smaller pieces to make sure she can fit them in her mouth. (As an aside, what's up with GC and their huge pellets? LOL)

A very good alternative IMO is New Life Spectrum. Their food is excellent, and it is available down to 0.5mm and 1 mm in size, plenty small even for a small mouth :D

Alex, are you talking about the normal size or the Big size. There are two sizes of progold. :thumb:

Wow Koko! That's a huge difference in size! Well I guess if you advocate them, they must be good! :) Are there really two sizes to choose from? I didn't see different sizes on Goldfish Connection...hmmm :hummm I suppose worst case scenario I could soak them and break them up into pieces.

Alex, I looked in the New Life Spectrum gf food...which do you think I'd be better off with?

I did not know that Koko. A friend of mine from the LFS had some and gave me to try :)

For my smaller fish, I just use the Thera-A formula. These are full of garlic, and the fish go crazy for them :)

It says this about the Thera-A...

‘Thera A’ is a balanced diet packed with garlic (which contains allicin compounds) and especially suited to feeding during periods of stress such as: quarantine of new fish; during disease recovery; and for fry before and after netting and movement.

Garlic helps to optimise the immune system and protect against parasites.

‘Thera A’ is not a medication, and disease treatments should continue to be used as appropriate.

Can it be used as regular, daily food for long periods of time? Or is this more recovery from disease as it says in the excerpt?

You can definitely use it regularly. It's basically a growth formula :)

Ohhhhh so I wouldn't need to combine it with another food formula. I had been thinking I might get that one and their "Grow Formula" and alternate. But if I can just get one that's even better! Thanks so much for all the help! :)

I have never had much luck w/ ProGold-it makes a lot of my fish float. I even soaked it and put it in gel food and it STILL made them float :saywhat I'm stuck w/ a big bag of it that I ordered to add antibiotics to,but cannot use it :no:

Yeah there is a normal Progold size and the Large Size. I have both, cause at one time before Myng came, they could eat about 4 of the large a piece. But now that Myng is in there I have to use the normal size.

As for them being to big on the normal size, the pellets are soft enough to just pinch them with a finger nail. :thumb:

I have found with fish that have floats with this food, its better to feed them 3-4 very small meals, then the 2 meal program. :thumb: