Sign in to follow this  
CelesteGB

How often to feed gel food?

Hello!

I've ventured into the brave new world of gel food and am wondering how often I should feed my goldfish? Something I read when looking up wheat germ said occasionally. What's the rule?

I've added wheat germ and garlic, acidophilus and mutli-vitamins :)

Thanks!

Celestwe

It's totally up to you how often to feed it. Some folks here feed gel food almost exclusively; others rotate it in with commercial and fresh or fresh/frozen foods. Variety is important for goldfish health, so you'll want to either vary the recipe of your gel food periodically or use the gel food in rotation with others.

You know you're completely hooked on goldfish when you start making your own food. Welcome to the obsession! :)

I personally feed primarily gel food and veggies. My kids get pellets maybe 2-3 meals a week, usually when I forget to thaw the gel food or am in a hurry. :)

Sounds good! I'm actually not *too* obsessed hehe...I just had one silly pearlscale get floaty. His slime coat started sloughing off and his behind lost scales and was really red. I know I almost lost him but separated him, treated him with salt, fasted, etc. Oddly it took me two days to consider constipation :yikes I mean, I feed them all peas twice a week but oh well. Poor Samwise's pelvic fins even got eaten off too.It was all so fast! It looks like his pelvic fins are growing back and he's happily getting some moments of swimming of normally but is content to rest upside down, does barrel rolls to right himself and zip across normally...for a bit :D

I decided on the gel food to prevent this happening again (since I'm kind of dense) to any of my fish. My family would have been crushed if he had died. I told my husband it will be a huge feat if I pull him through and I did :happydance

So if you consider all of this for the love of one fish then yes...I'm obsessed! (I love all my other fish but this was personal and the entire family just loves him. My 8 year old son even makes Lego statues of him and writes little books :D

If you have a floaty fish you may want to consider trying agar agar in your gel food instead of the gelatin. I have not yet tried it myself (I plan too), but I know other members here have had success with it. Here's a link: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94503-in-support-of-agar-agar/

I feed gel, veggies and blood worms (sometimes fruit). I've given up giving any commercial food, because Clementine always get floaty if fed commercial food.

I also changed my gel recipe to agar agar because Clementine was starting to float on gel made with gelatin. :no: By using agar agar she doesn't float anymore. :clapping:

Edited by kaytee