Sign in to follow this  
goldygal

Food

Oh, I see!! Thank you. They really eat suck this stuff up!

Oh, I see!! Thank you. They really eat suck this stuff up!

Yup. Garlic will do that :)

Is it true that the garlic in the food makes white orandas change into a yucky color? I forget where I read that. I have some of their food but don't give it to them often because I don't want my Oranda to change colors. They LOVE it though.

I've had difficulties with certain foods giving my white fish smeary orange blotches, particularly Saki-Hikari. Spirulina has been the biggest culprit, in my experience. I avoid foods that advertise themselves as being high in spirulina content or as being "color enhancing." Garlic shouldn't impact color, though.

You know that is funny you to are worried about your white goldfish. I have a platinum ogon koi which is snow white. I really wanted to feed the Hikari brand of pellets to my koi but to was worried about the color. I was told they could have a pink tinge to them if I were to feed the Hikari Gold Koi pellets. I contacted Hikari and they assured me that none of their foods would change my white koi and that their foods would enhance the white color.

Well I am glad to report that my koi did not change color at all. I mix the regular which does have spirulina in it, the wheat germ and the gold for koi I mix all three and feed it and have not had any issues with my whites on the koi at all. Even my Kikusui koi which is a orange and white did not develope any different colors at all.

Now that is koi

So for my two orandas both red caps I cannot say the same, but the one did and does have some orange on the fins and one other area of the body when I bought it young. I just noticed the other day that I see some faint orange color coming on the belly but the other one has a clean white body no orange showing at all.

I feed them the Hikari Wheat Germ and the Oranda Gold which does have color enhancers in it. I am not going to say its the food but rather I believe its the genetics of this one particular red cap which could turn all orange who knows. Genentics are something very neat to see in fish. One thing I would not feed them would be plankton I know that will give definatley turn them pink especially the koi and don't know what it would do for the goldfish maybe someone has fed it to their goldies.

But if I had that white beauty I would be very worried to, what ever you are feeding it that is just one beautiful fish.

Was it always white?