Sign in to follow this  
goldygal

Food

I would like to know what you all are feeding your goldfish?

I am currently feeding Hikari Oranda Gold, Hikari Wheat Germ, Flakes, some frozen foods too.

Has anyone ever used the Tetrafin Goldfish Crisps?

What is the best brand of foods to be feeding orandas and lionheads?

I like to do a variety as you can see but would like to know what you all feed.

Oh hey you are giving them better food than what i give mine!!! i only give mine vegetables bloodworms brine shrimp and Omega One pellets i am bit of a Scrooge on money :P so i don't buy like huge major brands of food that are all like SPECIAL FOOD!!!!!! BUY THIS AND YOUR FISH GROW TO HUMONGOUS SIZES!!!!!!! THIS WORKS SO WELL THAT IT SHOULD MADE ILLEGAL AND PLACED IN THE STEROIDS CATEGORY SO BUY IT NOW!!!!!!! :P but really it's the simple foods that work best :P like bloodworms and brine shrimp or just regular pellets

Edited by thefishofultimatejoy

What to feed ultimately comes down to what works best for your fish and your budget. You'll hear a wide variety of replies on here, and there's no one "right" combo of foods.

I think everyone will agree that for good nutrition, goldfish need variety. How you achieve that is up to you. You can get there by alternating between brands of commercial foods, or by supplementing commercial food with fresh veggies and occasionally fruit, or by making your own homemade gel food, or feeding frozen (thawed) foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp, or any combination of these. The possibilities are just about endless! :)

I personally feed primarily a commercial food (I like Pro-Gold, which is available to order from Goldfish Connection, but there are many excellent brands available), with green peas fed twice weekly, occasionally frozen bloodworms or mysis shrimp, sometimes homemade vegetable-based gel food, and any seafood that I might be having myself -- for example, I'm insanely crazy about Dungeness crab and eat it often when it's in season, so my goldfish do too.

Sounds like you're feeding a good variety of commercial foods already, which is great. My only suggestion would be to pre-soak the Hikari Oranda Gold before feeding, if you don't already, and squeeze the air out of the pellets with your fingertips before giving them to the fish so that the pellets will sink. When goldfish eat food from the surface, they can inadvertently gulp quite a bit of air, which isn't good for their digestion and can sometimes contribute to swim bladder problems/floatiness.

I feed primarily gel food (containing fresh fish and veggies) and sinking pellets (Hikari Lionhead) a few times a week. I also feed lots of fresh veggies (peas, cucumber, zucchini, spinach etc.), and then frozen blood worms 1-2x/week.

I would stick with pellets as opposed to flakes, and sinking pellets are better than floating ones :)

The big key is variety in their diet! :) Along with pellets, incorporate a good amount of fresh veggies.

Thanks for the replies. I am not familiar with gel foods but they are available to me, do they mess up the tank at all and how do you feed them.I will stay with the hikari and going to get the lionhead one this time, I will soak the ones i have so they sink. I have offered my orandas fruits and veg and they will not touch them. Maybe the gel food they will.

I've been switching between 3 kinds of prepared food - Pro Gold, Omega 1 goldfish pellets and Omega 1 algae flakes in the mornings.

In the evening, he gets a fish-sized portion of whatever veggie I'm eating myself. Lately he's had zuccini, lettuce, parsley, garbanzo bean, peas and pinto beans. If I have fish, he gets a bit of that and I have to say he likes that the best.

He fasts on Sunday and gets peas on Monday.

I too believe that variety is very important for health, and so far, Fluffy is doing well on this diet.

Good luck!

mj

I feed once a day.

Omega One Small pellets

Hikari frozen daphnia and frozen spirulina brine shrimp once a week on water change day

Hakari FD bloodworms once a week, just a little

Algae wafers once a month

Frozen peas twice a week without shells

Omega Shrimp pellets once in a while, they don't seem to like them much though

Thanks for the replies. I am not familiar with gel foods but they are available to me, do they mess up the tank at all and how do you feed them.I will stay with the hikari and going to get the lionhead one this time, I will soak the ones i have so they sink. I have offered my orandas fruits and veg and they will not touch them. Maybe the gel food they will.

You can make gel food yourself :) It ends up saving money on pellets in the long run. There are a bunch of recipes and info here: http://www.kokosgold.../2269-gel-food/

I just puree everything (usually tilapia or salmon, peas, red pepper, pumpkin puree, spinach, and garlic), mix in 3 packets of gel, then spread the whole thing out in a pan, put it in the fridge until it hardens, then slice it up into little squares, which I then lay out on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer until frozen (so they don't all stick together in the bag), then put in a freezer bag (and date it), then I just take out a couple pieces every other day and keep those in the fridge to thaw until I'm ready to feed. When I feed the squares I break them up into smaller bite size pieces with my fingers. I'm sure others have different methods, this is just what I do :)

As long as you use enough gel (so it is firm) it is not very messy at all. Sometimes there is a little residue in the water, but if you are doing good (50-80%) weekly water changes it shouldn't be a problem.

The hikari lionhead is good because it is a sinking pellet (but there are others like progold too) :) You should keep trying veggies, they may just not know what they are. Do you use a veggie clip? You can try soaking the veggies in some garlic juice to make them more enticing, and you could also try feeding something really yummy on the veggie clip (like orange) so that they start to associate the clip with good things. It took one of my fish months to figure out the veggie clip :) I would just leave something like a cucumber in the tank for 24 hours and not feed anything else and he eventually figured it out :)

Edited by tithra

I feed homemade gel food (two types, veggies & tuna and veggies & sardines) Saki-Hikari sinking pellets and Omega One Marine pellets. Various blanched greens, occasional cucumber or broccoli.Frozen blood worms very occasionally. Peas once per week after one day fasting, no set schedule.

I only feed Pro-Gold. There's enough variety in the ingredients that I don't need to supplement with anything else. :) And my fish love it. :)

I only feed Pro-Gold. There's enough variety in the ingredients that I don't need to supplement with anything else. :) And my fish love it. :)

Do you mean the Hikari Oranda Gold or are you talking about something else?

I feed homemade gel food (two types, veggies & tuna and veggies & sardines) Saki-Hikari sinking pellets and Omega One Marine pellets. Various blanched greens, occasional cucumber or broccoli.Frozen blood worms very occasionally. Peas once per week after one day fasting, no set schedule.

I see you live in Canada too, where are you from? I am from B.C.

What Tithra said. It's the highest quality goldfish food out there, in my opinion. :)

Can someone write out the ingredient list? I don't think the Pro-Gold page has it.

This is a quote from mjbubbles from this link: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/89070-goldfish-food-ingredients-list/

Pro-gold Ingredients (from the bag)

Krill Meal, Fish meal, shrimp meal, wheat flour, alfalfa, spirulina, Immunostimulant, fish oil and much more...

From the website:

There's more!

Pro-Gold also includes a natural immunostimulant to stimulate the immune system and probiotics to support the good bacteria in your goldfish's intestinal track. Plus, all the essential vitamins and minerals to keep your fish healthy.

NO Hormones, NO Artificial Coloring, NO Chicken or Beef Bi-Products and No Blood Meal!

Just fresh, high quality, 100% natural ingredients, produced and milled in a Federal inspected plant right here in the United States!

I would not argue that Pro-Gold is high quality food. I think that New Life Spectrum is another. The ingredients are virtually identical, and it is also made in the US. I buy NLS simply because I can just get it from my LFS :)

What NLS do you get for the goldfish?

I have the Thera-A, the small & the medium regular NLS :)

May I ask you is that the 2mm or 3mm size you get?

I have the 1mm and the 2mm. Most of the time I use the 2mm. The 1mm I feed the smaller goldies :)

I can only get the 1mm and the 3mm here of the goldfish formula, would the 3mm be to big or are they equivalent to the hikari oranda gold mini pellets?

I don't like the 3mm. I feel that they are too big. That's why I use the regular, medium fish NLS and not the goldfish one. It's always worked out fine for me :)

Thanks for all your help :-)

I have the Thera-A, the small & the medium regular NLS :)

Is it true that the garlic in the food makes white orandas change into a yucky color? I forget where I read that. I have some of their food but don't give it to them often because I don't want my Oranda to change colors. They LOVE it though.

As far as I know, garlic seems to serve only as an irresistible attractant for the fish. Color enhancing things like beta-carotene can influence color development in goldfish, but not garlic. The thing to keep in mind is that genetics plays a predominant role, and food a distant second. :)