My live plant, bare bottom tank

LionCalie

I will be using my 20 gallon (currently fishless cycling) as a grow out tank and finally took the plunge into live plants. They can be intimidating! I switched out the 8,000K fluorescent bulb for a Zoo Med Tropic Sun 5500K Daylight. I decided to go with a bare bottom (except for river rocks) this time, which was a problem since I wanted to go with live plants too. I'm using small glass vases filled with sand/gravel for the plants, hopefully it continues to work out good.

9202fed7.jpg

f4a1715d.jpg

Beautiful! But I think I notice a ribbon plant in the second to right vase. Unfortunately, that is not an aquatic plant (Petco sells it in their "aquatic bundle"). It can grow in a filter box though, its leaves cannot be submerged or it rots.

Ugh, stupid Petco. I really love the look of the ribbon plant too! I will make sure to remove it, thank you very much for bringing it to my attention. I'm a plant newbie. ;)

Thank you dnalex. :)

This looks really cool! I really like how bright and healthy the plants look against the black background and gravel.

I have tried plant tanks before but after a while I inevitably add a Betta or some Shrimp/Ottos or something... :whistle

(Though to be fair, even alot of Dutch tanks have Shrimp in them to keep the plants groomed/algae free - this is how I justify it to myself).

I grow a ribbon plant (which I didnt actually buy as an aquatic plant) as a regular houseplant beside one of my tanks, but i've been thinking about putting it into the overflow area of the tank. I am worried about submerging even the roots though, so id love to find out how you end up growing yours! :]

Great job so far, anyway!

Edited by Lucerne

Very nice. I like the look of the glass vases for the plants. I'm looking for ideas for the plants in my goldie tank, cuz I'd like more but they need soil.

Did you have an problems with the soil getting into the water when you filled the tank?

mj

Very nice. I like the look of the glass vases for the plants. I'm looking for ideas for the plants in my goldie tank, cuz I'd like more but they need soil.

Did you have an problems with the soil getting into the water when you filled the tank?

mj

Thank you! Nope no problem at all. You just have to make sure to do it slowly. Although I used a sand/gravel mix.

I'm so happy you all like my tank, thank you! :9