Pearlscale goldfish without the pearls?

t040484

Ok, I just got back from my LFS today and I saw a huge orange size pearscale goldfish. But I was wondering is it really pearlscale goldfish, since it doesn't have the pearlscales? It have like normal goldfish scale instead. I will go there again tomorrow and I will try to get photos, maybe even buy him LOL. But my question is there any breed of pearlscale with normal scale?

With the wacky genetic soup of goldfish types, I wouldn't be surprised if there were pearl-less pearlscales. Can't wait to see the pic, and to hear whether you bought it or not -- I probably would, especially at that size!

Hmmm, a fish with dropsy? That is scary thought cause that fish is sooooo big. I have never seen a dropsy fish before but how big can it get? It looks really fat and round.

How can I tell if the fish is dropsy? Anyway I am going there again now. I will see if they will let me take pictures.

If a fish has dropsy their scales will puff out. From the top, they will look like a pinecone. That's one of the reasons pearlscales scare me. They look like they have dropsy, and it is a horrible disease.

If a fish has dropsy their scales will puff out. From the top, they will look like a pinecone. That's one of the reasons pearlscales scare me. They look like they have dropsy, and it is a horrible disease.

Exactly why i went into near hysteria at my LFS one day i was all like ARGGGG Those fishies has dropsy they all gonna die!!!!!!! then i was all like oh they is pearlscales never mind :D:P

okay i got some video, here it is

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/80/wqh.mp4/

i tried to take video from every angle but it was kinda hard since the store was really packed.

please if somebody here knows, tell me is this some kinda hybrid goldfish or is this fish really sick?

thank you

btw that tank is a 10gal, this fish make it look small.

so this is a hybrid fish? is it healthy? or is it just bloated?

should i buy the fish then? it is sooo big, i am not sure if its going to be okay with the rest of the gang.

your opinion please

what's your setup like? (tank size, how many fish, what kind of filters etc.)

It is hard to get a very clear picture of the fish from the video. Did it look healthy to you? Did you notice any raised scales or anything like that?

It is a pretty fish! :)

right now i have 30 gal, with 2 ryukin, 1 oranda, 2 pearlscale, 2 bubble eye, 1 telescope.

i know the tanks is too small for the fishes, which is why i do 30% W/C twice a day.

they used to be in 2 tanks, 50gal and 30gal. but right now i am in the middle of moving, so i have to let go of my 50gal

however once i settled in my new house, i will get 75gal and rehome

and this guy looks really good, so i figured if i let this one go, i will probably regret it.

It would be my personal advice to pass on this guy considering that you are already (as you pointed out) highly overstocked as it is and this guy looks very large. I just don't think it is a good idea :(

When do you plan to be able to setup the 75 gallon? When you say "rehome" are you saying that you are planning to rehome some of the fish you currently have?

Is there any way that you can set up some temporary housing (large storage bins with filters) in the meantime?

i mean i will bring them back to my new home. the aquarium is set in my store right now.

hopefully by december i can start looking for new aquarium

for now i think i will try to get the storage bins just like you say. just for temporary

Yeah, it might be a really good idea to try to get some storage bins if you can :), just because you unfortunately have 90 gallons worth of fish in 30 gallons. It's really great that you are keeping up with daily water changes, but even with those the ammonia must go up very quickly in the tank.

Even in the 75 gallon you will be a bit overstocked, so I wouldn't consider adding anymore fish at this point (Are you planning to keep the 30 gallon running as well? then you would be just about at your max stocking level, with a little bit of wiggle room)

You can get big clear plastic storage bins for pretty cheap at wal*mart. Add a filter (seeded with media from your current filter) and an air stone and you should be good to go. You'll still have to keep up on the daily water changes since you will still be overstocked, but it will be a little less stressful for your fish during this transition time. :) And you can use the bins for storage after!! ;)

Edited by tithra

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, definitely looks like the non-crown pearscale varient. Minus the pearl scales. Haha. Thats funny. At least in the future it would be easier to tell if it has dropsy or not.

If you're scared to lose it, maybe you can pay for it already and ask them to take care of it 'til you can get your 75 gallon?

Reminds me very much of my halfie called Harvie.

His Mother was a black demekin and father an orange tiku pearlscale.

Here's a recent couple of pics, but as a baby he was a tiny ball just like a round pearlscale and later got more demekin shaped.

P1050095.jpg

Fish11041.jpg

Hmmm, ok so that's what he is a cross breed.

Too bad someone beat me to it, the store owner lose my number and some other guy bought it.

Even tho I always go to that store every 2 or 3 days to buy food or supplies , that is so messed up I keep telling him to hold it to me.

I probably will try to breed one just like him. So I will need demekin and what is tiku pearlscale?

sorbetredspot.jpg <tiku

Tikus have shorter tails than their long finned pearlscale relatives. Very short fins.The body should be really round and viewed from the top prize winning tikus should be circular in body.

Sorry you lost out this time. Maybe they will have more :)

OMG i would so get that & figure out how to get another tank JUST TO HAVE IT,,, ITS BEAUTIFUL! !!!