Sign in to follow this  
fishiesforme1

For the love of all things holy, make the smell go away.

There's not enough glade plug-ins in the world. I forgot how stinky it was to make food. And I also forgot how weird it is to see all of those dead smelt eyes looking at me before hitting the blender button. My poor bf, who already is a germaphobe...he may never go in the kitchen again. But that might be a good thing...

The recipe I use is common, but this time I added garlic. These particular fishies have never had gel food, so here's hoping they like it!

The recipe makes about a gallon of food.

1 pound smelt

12 ounces frozen peas

18 ounces frozen spinach

2 small red bell peppers

8 ounces wheat germ

1 Tbsp doggie vitamins

4 large fresh garlic cloves

16 packets plain Knox gelatin

Excuse me while I go barf.

Edited by fishiesforme1

That must have made a HUGE amount of food!!! How long will that last your fish? Mine would take a year to get through that much.

lol

Thats a lot of food! How long does it last you? Is it the smelt that makes the smell?

Oops, forgot to say this recipe makes about a gallon. Last time I made it I doubled the recipe. I had 13 large fish, with very healthy appetites, and it lasted a little over a year.

Wow...I wish I had the room to make that much. With 24 fish, it doesn't last me a month.

It's such a great way to save money, too! The 1 gallon only cost about $20. After warming it to make the gelatine set, I spread it on top of wax paper in cookie sheets, then set in the fridge till it's nice a cold. I take 1 sheet out at a time, cutting it all into individual pieces and placing it into quart size zip lock bags for the freezer. I have to only cut a few strips from each sheet and replace the sheet in the fridge, otherwise it starts warming and gets a little sticky.

i make about 4-6 months of gel food too. for me, it's not worth getting started to make a few months worth.

Me neither, Helen. If I'm going to stink for a while, better get as much done at once as possible.

Just fed the first round: they LOVE it! It took them a while to figure out what it was, but once they did, it all disappeared in under a minute! Can't wait to see green poopies.

I might try making some gel food with sardines. I just need to keep it away from my dad. Because he eats sardines. Raw. lol

he eats sardines. Raw.

:thumbdown

My dad made me eat a raw sardine when I was a kid. Super ickies! But hey, to each his own! :)

Just fed round two. I'm going to have to be careful to not let them stuff themselves. They've eaten twice what they normally do!

wow i must way over feed my fish cause so far ive made about 2 gallons of gel food in about 6 months and im almsot due to make another batch it fed 4 goldfish btw :D

I might try making some gel food with sardines. I just need to keep it away from my dad. Because he eats sardines. Raw. lol

Hmm...I'll eat raw tuna, salmon and a few other types, but not sardines, I don't think lol

that's cool! u could sell it at local fish groups :)

Hey! Quick question: can this recipe cause algae growth? I've noticed a lot since I started feeding, but coincidentally It was also at the end of a Prazi and Salt treatment...