Tank October 2011

devilduck

This is my current set up as of mid-September-ish, the plants are all filling in really well (turning into a bit of a jungle but the fish like it). X is growing really well since I got her, bulking out really nicely and starting to get her ryukin hump, Crankypants is my bf's fantail, and I swear the ranchu was half that size three weeks ago and now she's nearly the same body length as the moor (which might be a broadtail :o no V on that tail! :) ) I'd like to get pics of them all but camera's not co-operating so it's video instead I'm afraid!

th_079.jpg

Very nice tank! What size is it if I might ask?

Thanks all :) I do loves my tank, though I don't get as much time in front of it as I would like.

Love the plants, I'm struggling to get my silk plants to stand up they get blown all over the place by the filter currents! You have new fish, I have taken a fancy to Crankypants (what a great name!) :D

Try removing them from the bases and tying them to rocks maybe? I don't know...mine don't move at all but most are attached to driftwood! Crankypants is my bf's fish (also named by him!), he's never had one before or any urge for one but seemed to get attached as soon as I said he could pick one of the new guys...

How DO you keep the tank bottom so clean with all those plants in there (which look great)

I cleaned the algae off specially for picture time :) Not that there was a huge amount anyway, any muck also tends to get caught under the java fern roots in the corners or right at the back, so it's there (and it's there in this video!) but not right in the middle in a conspicuous pile...

Very nice tank! What size is it if I might ask?

It's a 40 gallon true volume, 47 if you do it as a 180 litres conversion but I reckon it holds closer to 160 litres, it's a Juwel Vision 180 so a bowfront :)

Beautiful! Your plants are gorgeous. Mine look like doo doo :(

Give them time and lots of light :) Mine get about 15 hours a day, I have my lights on a timer switch thingie and it really helps :) Think I have 2x 20W fluorescents on there (which are probably due new bulbs pretty soon - that can wait until after Christmas!), that combined with lots of fishie poop does wonders. I don't add plant feed or anything, just leave them be. I've also had some of them 2 years, some a year and some about 8-9 months and particularly the anubias is filling out really well :)

Edited by devilduck

Your fish are all gorgeous. I really love your plants. They have filled in so well. Is that a real plant in the back sort of on the right side? It has dark looking leaves. So pretty all, fish and plants.

They're all real plants :) There's 2 types of java fern (the regular kind and the frondy one I think's called Windelov or some variant of that spelling) and anubias. The darkish one near the middle is a nicely bushing-out anubias that's a bit algaed and needs a scrub, all the plants to the right of that are java ferns except the short darker one to the left of the flowerpot entrance, which is another anubias. :)