Stinky water = bad bacteria? What to do?

ShawneeRiver

Ok let me see if I can put this in a timeline that makes sense to me (I am getting confused lol) Filters break, bad bac forms, filters fixed, smell appears, treat the tank, smell goes away, then smell comes back

So somewhere there are bad bacs still growing in your tank right?

I think I'd just keep taking stuff out each water change to find out where the bad bac is growing in. I'm so sorry you are going through this, you have such beautiful fish. I hope they aren't being affected by this.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so the time line is (I got a little confused)... things are fine, filters break, bad bac appears, filters fix, smell is bad, treat the tank, smell goes away, smell comes back...

If the smell is back then that means that the bad bac is somewhere growing? So I guess keep removing things each water changes until the smell goes away?

I feel so bad this is happening to you. You have such beautiful fish and I hope they aren't too affected while you are battling this.

The smell isn't as strong this time.

One thing is, the bga isn't supposed to bother the fish, but my fish are bothered by something. They are bottom sitting again. I did back-to-back WCs with little improvement. :(

I am about the shut down this tank, so I'm not so worried about fixing the problem. I just want the fish to be better. I am fearful of trying any plants or anything in the new tank now, but that's boring for the fish. :(

When are you shutting down the tank? Are you planning on super cleaning any of the ornaments before you put them in the new tank?

(sorry for the double post my silly computer told me the site was down and it didn't sent GRRR )

Hopefully, I will be doing it soon. I plan to keep the volcano and add the small Petsmart bubbling dragon, which has been out of the tank for a couple of months. Both of those are small with a lot of airflow, so I think they will be OK. I will get rid of the big fake rock. I don't love that rock, but the fish like to swim through it and rest behind it, but I can't imagine how to get that thing clean inside and out.

I'm thinking of going with a plain sand bottom in the new tank with lower lighting, some moss ball and anubis, and maybe some driftwood sticks with moss.

• Admin

Okay so we are thinking about starting it over?

If so I would like to suggest something. When you do start over, I would but the filters on, the fish and sand. But I would hold off on your ornaments just till it cycles right. This way we will eliminate the problems one by one :thumb