Stinky water = bad bacteria? What to do?

ShawneeRiver

The water smells a little funky again today. Could algae make it smell? Would stinky algae make the fish bottom sit?

About the time the smell got bad, I had added a second light and started getting more algae.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just relate smell to mold. But I don't know if there is a water equivalent of that.

There is definitely water mold, and they are bad for all involved. What does your algae look like, SR?

Ah ha! I think I've had an outbreak of Blue Green Algae! And I think it's come back. :( Interesting link: http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/10/blue-green-algae-bga.html

I had never mentioned that in my tank changes, I also added a second light fixture. Even with the second bulb, I'm not at high lighting. But I wanted a lighting boost to get the plants to grow rather than just survive. I'm thinking that the brighter lighting combined with the filter breakdown resulted in a BGA bloom. BGA is actually a bacteria, and the recommended treatment is Maracyn, which is what I finally used and the smell went away.

My algae generally looks brown, but since the new light, I've had more green algae too.

I read a few different discussions about it, and it really sounds like what happened. I'm excited to have an answer! But now I don't know how to get rid of it for good.

I don't know how I missed this topic but I'm looking into this http://www.myfishtank.net/articles/blue-green-algae-article/

" One exception is tanks with soft and acid water. You rarely find blue-green bacteria in these tanks since most bacteria, including blue-green, do not like acid conditions." -quote from article

I haven't read this whole posting so I don't know if softness or acidity in your water has been determined. Another thing he mentioned is phospate monitoring and I remember telling that to someone else recently with an algae issue.

So again, something that eats up phosphates would help and possibly add more space for BB's to grow??? I only suggest that hoping that the bb's will eat up the nutrients faster to help battle the smell???

bluegreen algae isn't affected by your nitrogen cycle but when it dies it will add to your ammonia.

Ok off to see what needs phosphates to live in an aquarium :S *needle in haystack search begins*

Ok off to see what needs phosphates to live in an aquarium :S *needle in haystack search begins*

LOL. Everything needs phosphates to live in the aquarium. I think you should never your search to large versus small consumers :)

I have hard water and my water reading are usually normal, so I'm thinking it's not acidic.

Here's the crazy thing -- if this is BGA, my Google search indicates that it is in the family of bacteria that makes people sick! I really could have gotten sick from the tank! (I have been sick for pretty much the last two months.) It wouldn't be any different from catching something from yucky water in the environment.

This is so crazy, but it all kind of works and makes sense.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Yeah I read that too but again in my research I also found BGA tablets promoting its health benefits... :eyeroll

http://www.yamatogreen.com/phosphorus.htm Okay I read this and have a much better understanding of the role of phosphates in an aquarium.

Basically it says to add more plants to eat up the nutrients, if underwater plants are an issue with the goldfish munching there is always Fangs awesome Pothos idea. (I'm sure you've seen it so I won't add the link)

Also don't over feed (phosphates in fish food needed for healthy bone growth)

Clean regularly (phosphates are found in fish poop in larger quantities than the fish food)

Understocking your tank (less of both food and poop that way)

Or to get a phosphate pillow to control the phosphate situation but they seem rather expensive.

• Admin

Ok big thing I think we missed on the blue green gunk..... The biggest reason it will show up... dead spots in the tank. Meaning the water isnt moving around enough and the bad aglae is growing.... So first thing your going to need to make sure the tank is moving well. If the plants that you have are covered in it or any traces of it, I wouldnt put them in the new tank. Its like a bad disease and it will come back :(

Ok big thing I think we missed on the blue green gunk..... The biggest reason it will show up... dead spots in the tank. Meaning the water isnt moving around enough and the bad aglae is growing.... So first thing your going to need to make sure the tank is moving well. If the plants that you have are covered in it or any traces of it, I wouldnt put them in the new tank. Its like a bad disease and it will come back :(

Oh koko you are the best! I did and would've continued to overlook it.

Ugh. The fake rock and volcano are hollow, and I just bought new plants too!

I'm pretty sure it's in my desktop tank too. I moved plants back and forth between them, and the little tank has ugly algae. But it doesn't have the strong smell that the big tank does.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Admin

Hun I think this is your stink problem :o

The fake rock and volcano are hollow, they can make the tank smell with the stagnate water inside them :yikes. and if you have gravel it gets worse... Trust me :yikes

THis has been a very informative thread. I realize that I have BGA in my betta tank and need to do something about it.

Thanks for that!

I'm sorry you've had such troubles, Shawnee, and I hope the new tank has none of them!

mj

I've seen a lot of warnings about hollow warnings, but a lot of people have them, and I had them for months without problems. I think it's more likely that the total lack of filtration, the increase in lighting and the loss of my established filter over a few day period played a bigger role in this. My filter broke down three times. The last time, it was out all day and who knows how much of the night. In the end, I replaced it and carried over some media, but not a lot. In addition, the tank itself was re-set up with sand replacing the gravel, so there wouldn't be any BBs in the tank to help ease the loss of the filter.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Admin

AWE but there is part of the key again "total lack of filtration" and when the filter broke. See the water inside those things increased with bad bugs as the water wasnt being pushed around.. Yup you fixed part of the issue but the other part is that under those hollow things, bad bb's have multiplied :yikes

I would say right now till you get the smell gone and everything else nice and clean, take those guys out hun. Trust me there more for your looks then theres right now :thumb:

Both the volcano and big fake rock have bubblers in them. I shake them every time I vacuum. The big fake rock actually has a lot of holes, and I think the ghost shrimp live inside of it. Even if that's where problem started, would it have started without the filter breaking? Now that I have proper filtration, I wonder how big of problem they are.