Stinky water = bad bacteria? What to do?

ShawneeRiver

I thought of that too. I did just read that it does happen that fishkeepers get sick from contact with fish water. Either way, yuck. :(

I'm going to do a big WC tomorrow morning and start treatment afterward. I hope they are OK through the night, but I don't want to start before the WC because I won't be able to change it for 5 days. They have been at normal activity levels all evening.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you choose to use the Maracyns (and I am not certain you should), keep in mind that minocycline (Maracyn II) is light sensitive. So you need to cover the tank. Also, these antibiotics will kill your cycle, so check ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates daily.

• Supporter

maracyn will kill the beneficial bacteria.. for sure.

goldeen looks like he/she has scrapes from either gravel or ornaments. scales do not appear to be lost

peaches looks to have war scars too.. the redness in the tail is probably the stress from all the commotion.

harry has standard wen growth and does not need to be treated

oreo is showing typical signs of a calico. all calico's have greyish rings aroud their eyes that is NOT popeye.

your fish are looking healthy. i suspect there is breeding behaviour going on or some bullying that is leading them to be running away from eachother at alarming rate to which they could be scraping on ornaments or gravel.

or, parasites. i would continue parasite treatment and leave them anitibotic free. i would att 0.1% salt maximum to 0.2% whilst they remain in QT..

as for the smell in the main tank.. if you can preserve some of your cycled media (if you have it) and then nuke the whole lot. but i would not be adding additional medication to the fish, to me they look fine,

any bottom sitting is probalbly a reaction to the salt and anything else you have in there. do the daily water changes and add salt and or prazi if required. i would recommend against treating them with anything else, in my honest opinion, your fish look healthy. vibrant colours, dorsal fins erect etc.

I agree with Helen's analysis completely. I would go all the way up to 0.3% salt and treat with Prazi. I am really very hesitant to deploy the Maracyns.

Whatever you do, let us know :)

The Maracyn says that it does not affect the cycle. It lists the bacteria that it targets and says testing shows that it doesn't harm the BBs. Could be untrue, of course, but it was interesting to read.

Although I always like to be a proud mama and hear that my fish look good, I can tell you that Goldeen truly does not look good. Goldeen is an amazing robust and vibrant fish, with a prominent and bright orange dorsal fin. The fin is down and has white on it. It doesn't look like a fungus, but it's white. Also, "she" lost a couple of scales in qt, and qt is an empty, bare bottom tank, so there's definitely scale loss not related to injury. (Goldeen is my daughter's fish, and daughter wants her fish to be a girl. So "she" is a girl covered with breeding stars! ;) ) This scale loss has been going on for weeks, even with frequent large WCs, salt and Melefix.

Also, the water smells stronger today. I believe that my tank is cycled, but it's not a strong cycle, which is part of the problem. But the persistent strong fishy smell is a big concern for me, as are the frequent bouts of inactivity and bottom sitting.

I agree that I'm being paranoid about Oreo's eye, and the whitish waxy stuff I just posted because it was very noticeable in several of the pictures. But Goldeen's injuries, Peaches' sunken gills and other injuries, and the stink are real and have been going on for weeks. I'm going to try the Maracyn combo.

Thank you for the great advice. Even though I'm using the Maracyn without your support, I'm doing it because I think that here, seeing and smelling in person, things just are not fitting with what we are discussing. I hope that makes sense.

just wondering. have you been monitoring your pH?

regarding the catching of cooties - it is more probable you can get like a nasty finger infection if you go into the tank with an open wound or such. but it isn't likely that fish can spread a cold to you, because they don't get colds. Just like you cannot give your dog a cold. :)

Good luck and I hope the fishies are all feeling (and smelling) better soon!

It can be so worrying when they are not their regular selves, so I can understand your desire to respond asap.

Take care,

Mj

Thanks, mj. :)

I did a big WC today and got down to where Goldeen's dorsal was sticking out of the water. Still stinky, so I ran water in with conditioner on one side of the tank and sucked out water from the other side for a few minutes. I added the meds as I refilled the tank and have had the tank in the dark all day. Everyone has looked fine. I will go very light on the feeding for the next five days because i have to add medicine daily with no WC until the end.

I kept all the media in the filter because if it is a bad bacterial bloom, it could be in the filter media too. So I could bring the bad stuff back with the media at the end of treatment.

My goal right now is to finish these treatments and rebuild my cycle before freezing weather hits. I've finally figured out how to get the water to run out the window (the screen was stuck) and it's sooo much easier. But I don't think I should do it when it gets very cold.

I added the third day of meds. Maybe I'm just hopeful or stuffed up, but I think the water smells a little better than yesterday. Yesterday, I could smell it with the hood on. Today, I put my nose close and didn't smell much at all. Also, Goldeen's dorsal looks like it's lost some of the white discoloration.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I added the third day of meds. Maybe I'm just hopeful or stuffed up, but I think the water smells a little better than yesterday. Yesterday, I could smell it with the hood on. Today, I put my nose close and didn't smell much at all. Also, Goldeen's dorsal looks like it's lost some of the white discoloration.

I'm glad that things seem to be improving. How many more days of meds do you have left?

Instructions say to add new meds every day for five days. My plan is to add the last treatment Monday morning and do a big WC Tuesday morning. Then I'll give it a few days and see how things look. I can repeat once, and I'll give it a few days before I make that decision.

Yesterday, I gave the last dose of meds, and today I did a 50 percent WC. I'm concerned about my water quality. I seem to have a cycle, but I'm not sure I have enough BBs to keep up with the load. Still, I didn't want to get rid of all the water in case it has meds in it still.

The tank smells better. It still smells fishy but not as strongly.

I am very interested in what Trinket said here about yellow bellies: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95110-with-a-very-heavy-hearti-need-help/page__pid__1120275__st__20#entry1120275

Peaches was a beautiful pearly white and orange when I get her. But since, her belly has turned yellow. I assumed it was color change, but other than the belly, her color has been stable. In this disaster, she has some damaged scales and was bottom sitting. I'm wondering if the yellow belly is related.

I'm going to do WCs every two-three days for awhile, watch water params and see how the fish do. I can give them one more round of meds if necessary.

Are you sure there is no ammonia? I only ask because I found when my fish got holes in their fins I had ammonia in my tank :(

I am sorry things are taking such a long time to improve!

I do think water quality is an issue. I did the meds because WCs were not curing the smell. I tried frequent and multiple WCs and the smell stuck. Now, I'm hoping that I got rid of a bunch of stubborn bacteria and that clean water will do the rest.

The holes are not pretty, but the dorsal had been discolored, so maybe it means that the bacterial film is gone and the healing can begin. It could have been a fungus there, but it didn't look fungusy -- just white.

I did a WC and tested the water. I got .5 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. The ammonia seems kind of high since I just did a WC on Saturday or Sunday, but the nitrate was a good sign that I still have some cycle after the antibiotics. I hope my test was accurate.

Also, the water smells better for sure, but the fish don't look any better. In fact, Goldeen might look even worse and now Harry has minor scale damage. But the behavior has been normal (other than serious breeding harassment yesterday). I slacked on the WCs because of Halloween. Maybe that's why they look bad. :(

These fish are going to be the death of me from all the worrying!!

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Are you done with antibiotics in the water? If so, may be you can add some Nutrafin Cycle to help stabilize your cycle?

I'm actually not skeptical about waterborne meds...just slow to use them. I do have several on hand for when I decide I do need to use it though :)

I'm glad the situation is improving!