Stinky water = bad bacteria? What to do?

ShawneeRiver

Will you post pics of what's going with Goldeen?

My only other suggestion is even though you worry, wait on getting a couple of inputs from people here before medicating, simply because once you start, you shouldn't stop.

I hope all goes well and ASAP!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gang is back in the main tank, and surprise -- they are going crazy searching the gravel for food! The ghost shrimp had re-appeared and thought they had it made with a big tank to themselves. I think I saw one mouth, "Omg! Wth?!!" as it swam away in terror. The goldies are running them down in their frenzy to find a lost morsel in the sand. It's funny! :rofl

I will try to get a picture of Goldeen. But she's got missing scales and some whiteness on the dorsal fin. No clamped fins and appetite is normal. ;) But the scale damage continues, and I think it's gotten worse. Peaches continues to have sunken gills, that bent anal fin, two missing scales and redness in the tail. Oreo and Harry still look fine.

Sounds good. We will wait for the pics.

In the mean time, there is another thing I would like to point out. Because you had vacated the fish to QT and have now re-introduced them to the tank, there is a likelihood of a cycle bump as your cycle re-adjusts itself to the increased bio-load. My suggestion is this:

1. For the next few days, do feed them, but perhaps start out at 40% of what you normally feed and increase gradually, to be back to normal say in the 3-4 days.

2. Check your parameters daily also for the next few days, just to make sure that there are no issues.

I think you may need to salt the tank, but that should wait until the picture posts and also opinions from others.

This is interesting -- and kind of embarrassing. Last week, after the stinky water and the scale loss, I got very concerned when after a WC, the fish started bottom sitting, so I snatched them out of the main tank and put them in qt. They were bottom sitting and just generally being inactive. That led me to start this thread.

Today, they were chasing Oreo brutally. (Now that I'm paranoid, I'm suspecting that Oreo has popeye, but I'll give it a bit more time.) To distract them, I gave them peas. DD went to the tank today and noticed bottom sitting and general lethargy, and I thought for sure they were all doomed and that I would give up the hobby. After watching for awhile, I realized that they were sitting around chewing peas. Perhaps the pieces are too big or I didn't cook them enough, but they were resting and chewing. Then, they'd perk up and go find another pea, and rest and chew.

And the day that I panicked and put them in qt for bottom sitting? They were eating peas. :blowup: I don't think I'm paranoid about the fish, but obviously, I need to chill out.

LOL. I think we've all been there and totally understand. I can't even tell you how many times I've imagined that my fish were carrying some sort of deadly disease.

In any case, I'm glad you discovered a source of the problem.

How's the water? Still smelly? Or has it gotten a bit better?

We're back to bottom sitting and hovering near the bottom today, and no peas are involved. :(

I read that a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn II will kill bacteria in the tank. Maybe I should "nuke" the tank with them.

I think they all are going to die. :no:

Edited by ShawneeRiver

No! :(

Is the tank still smelling? I hope Trinket and/or some other people will weigh in about the Maracyns. I can tell you that the combo you mentioned definitely will kill pretty much all the bacteria, including your cycle.

When they were in QT, we're they bottom sitting? Are they still eating?

They are eating, and the tank still smells, though it's not as bad. It seems like it smells more than it used to before I shut it down to level it, but maybe I just don't know anymore. It's not overpower like it was a few weeks ago, but when I put my nose near the water, I definitely smell fish. I don't remember it smelling fishy before the redo.

They did not do any hovering or bottom sitting in QT. However, in qt there's no place to rest away from the other fish. In the main tank, they have nooks where they can rest without being chased immediately. I'm uploading pictures and will have them in a few.

Also, there's been a lot of apparent breading behavior. Peaches took the brunt of it two weeks ago, and yesterday it was Oreo. Oreo seemed to have a clear "outie" yesterday. And check out Goldeen's breeding stars!

Here's Goldeen, who has been hovering low in a corner today. All the whitish areas are scale damage, except the ends of the tail. Also, "she" has some white in the dorsal fin. There's scale damage near the tail on the other side, but I couldn't get a picture of it. This started around the time they went back in the big tank, so about the second week of September. Some of the areas look like they might be healing, but at the same time, there's more scale loss than before.

6261236532_d98e801b67_z.jpg

6260710519_56b03dcff8_z.jpg

Peaches is the one who was bottom sitting. She (?) has sunken gills, a few missing scales (maybe 2 per side), the damaged anal fin and some red in the tail. This showed up just a couple of weeks ago.

6261235560_a96c4eb76e_z.jpg

Here's Harry. I don't know if it's a concern, but all the fish have a whitish waxy look to their heads. Harry has had it the longest. Harry did a little hovering today, but mainly he has looked fine.

6261235648_2aca9f6b87_z.jpg

Here's Oreo, who was hiding and hovering or sitting this morning. Oreo was chased a lot yesterday and is the smallest fish. I'm probably paranoid now, but Oreo looks slightly popeyed on one side. "Normal" eye is first, then three of the "bad" eye.

6261236118_ff80a58211_z.jpg

6261236952_7db81166d8_z.jpg

6260712085_7de80f91a9_z.jpg

6260712477_3f741b6ca8_z.jpg

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I see what you mean. I hope that some others have a concrete treatment suggestion. At this stage, the only contribution I can make is to suggest daily large volume water change. It is clear that there is something off. I'm just not sure quite what, and because of that, I hesitate to recommend the Maracyns as treatment.

I just came downstairs, and all were bottom sitting or hovering. I ordered some Metro-Meds, just in case.

I did back-to-back 90 percent WCs on Monday. I think it's time for something more, but I'm not sure what. :(

When I walked to the tank for a closer look, they all swam up and did their begging dance, like normal.

I have to leave in an hour, and I could get some Maracyn then, if that's the best course. I have salted and done daily WCs, and it's not enough. Something is not right in the main tank. Also, I put another small filter on there, just cuz I had it running on the QT.

So far they only had salt?

That is why I am always worried with smelly water. usually it's fishy related. Are they swollen at all? I am thinking no Maracyn. Either MMs or you could start with a dip incase they have parasites?

I have been using salt dips recently and they are super helpful.

Thank you so much, Fede and Alex, for your help and support.

Fede, they has salt and Melafix. I'm thinking the Maracyn combo because they were ok in qt, and after one day back in the smelly tank, they are listless. So the Maracyn combo would help knock out whatever is in there that is causing the stink and the listlessness. Does that make sense? The smell stayed even with big WC and no fish, so I think something is in the tank and the fish.

At this point, I think I have little to lose.

I hate to make this suggestion, but all evidence points to something really off with the main tank. You may have to bring them all to QT (AND filters), disinfect the tank, and then go from there.

That is entirely possible, although I am not sure what the likelihood of that is. The other way is likely, which is that you could have introduced something to the tank. :(