Do you have experience with USPS fish shipping?

dnalex

Hello,

I am due to receive 3 new fish by the United States Postal Service on Tuesday. The seller is sending the package overnight. I've never received fish by USPS, and was just wondering if you guys have had (good or bad) experiences with this service. The seller says he's had nothing but good experience with the postal service, and he chooses them because it's a little bit cheaper.

Please share with me your experience. Thank you :)

See, in my area it is different - - I get things shipped all the time via UPS in my area - - our local USPS is AWFUL! Every package shows up looking like they first played soccer with it, and then used it as tire blocks.

I've also had very excellent experiences with our USPS here, including shipping overnight items. I just haven't gotten any fish at all from them, so I'll just cross my fingers. :)

Thank you for your inputs!

Edited by dnalex

Alex, don't you remember when I got Babydoll? She was shipped USPS along with two other baby butterflies. There was a shipping delay on the fault of USPS, and customer service was a pain to deal with... not apologetic, understanding or helpful at all. When the box finally arrived very late, two of the three fish were dead. :( Babydoll was the lone survivor. It is just one example, and it might be a fluke one-time accident. But still, I try to avoid USPS now.

I DO remember that incident, which is why I was asking to see what people's experiences have been.

I did make sure that he has a live arrival and other guarantees, in part because I remember your experience with USPS and Babydoll :(

Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Every fish I have gotten shipped through USPS has been an adventure. I've received angelfish and bettas. Both shipment of angels were DOA. One they held and didn't tell me until they had already closed. So they left the box in the freezing warehouse and the fish froze to death. The second one took 1 week to get to me even though I had an overnight guarantee. I had 3 shipments of bettas. They held all 3 at the PO and made me come in to get them the next day and one didn't make it since the fish was supposed to come on a Sat. I wasn't allowed to pick it up until Mon.

So I always demand fedex or ups.

Edited by ashlee18

OK. So I just went to the USPS website and checked with their online calculator, and between the seller's location and mine, their Express Service is actually a 2 day service. I am not comfortable with that, so I think I'm going to go with FedEx. I'm going to call the guy and tell him to send FedEx. I'll pay the difference, knowing that I can pick up the next day in the AM.

Thanks, everyone for your inputs. I really appreciate it.