Is it safe?

Vee

Okay, I've been treating my betta, Poppy, for pop eye, the betta's eating actively, is interested in its (very plain) environment, and is doing generally well.

I've also been treating it with antibiotics for the past week, and though it's eye seems less swollen it still has a big "pearl" on it's eye that hasn't changed since the medication.

The packaging suggests I don't treat the fish for more than a week, and other than the pearl it's eye is no longer swollen.

Should I stop the antibiotic treatment? Should I switch to something else?

I can't get maraycn in my area, and I don't know where I'd get it online. I've seen the back of a melafix bottle state that it's okay to use for popeye..

I can try and get pictures of the "pearl," if need be.

I would suggest finishing the meds in the time frame the directions say. Have you tried putting him in warmer water with Indian Almond Leaves tea?

I'm using a thermometer meant for a 50g+ tank and turned it up as high as it'll go, but it wont go past 80'. It's very frustrating, because the smaller heater I have won't even go over 70'

I've never heard of tea for bettas? Is that commonly available? :o

The week is up today. :(

• Supporter

I'm not 100% on this but I think I read some where that when a fish gets pop eye that the eye it's self may not look the same after treatment. You can get almond leaves on aquabid. They are used as a tonic for bettas. Just put one or two in your tank. Turns the water tea colored but the fish are supposed to dig it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

• Supporter

Yeah. Seems like an ok deal too. Free shipping rocks especially when your paying for dried leaves;). If you do some research you might be able to find some leaves in your area that might work too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

:) Thanks. I ordered the leaves. They may have some holes in them, but that doesn't make them any less effective, especially since they're such a great deal.

The same seller was selling 5 "perfect" leaves for more than this whole bag!

I'll fill out the form again, but I have a topic not too far down the list already. :) I figured this didn't need to be in the disease section, seeing as I'm only trying to look for alternative treatment methods.

Right now I can't recall where I've put my test kit.. :rofl I'll look for it and come back here.

I just wanted to say about the almond leaves, I discovered that just putting a few in the tank takes forever to turn the water colored, so it was suggested to me by Captain Findus Goldfish that I just boil a few in some tank water then let it cool and add it to the tank until it is the color of iced tea. It works a lot better. I don't have a clue if the leaves will help treat your betta but I just leave the water like this all the time because my betta seems very happy:)

Hi Vee,

Just to clarify - by "pearl" do you mean a cloudy, glazed spot on the lens of the eye? If so, this is not uncommon with Betta fish and is known as ''cloudy-eye'' - at least in my country.

Firstly, if this is the case, it is not at all fatal so I wouldn't worry too much, it is not nearly as bad as pop-eye so you are definitely past the worst of it.

Clouded eyes in Bettas are not uncommon and are usually caused by stress and/or nitrates - what are the nitrate levels in your tank at the moment?

Having nitrate run as close to 0 as possible will help with the problem - do you have any live plants in the tank? adding them can reduce nitrate and ease the problem.

Floating plants like Frogbit work well to reduce the nitrates in a tank and also provide surface cover which Bettas enjoy - if you cannot grow these in your tank then even some low light plants like anubias, moss or some kind of fern (bolbitis/java) will help.

Having said this, it could well just be a side effect of the stress caused by the recent Pop-eye, and you will probably find that with good food and water quality it will just clear up in time.

Hope this is useful and that your fish gets better soon!

Edited by Lucerne

Thanks for the help! :)

The pearl isn't a cloudy film on the eye, though. It actually looks like there's a tiny decorative pearl on the bottom of it's eye. Almost like it's a little dancer at a burlesque show. Haha. :lol I'll see if I can get some pictures asap when the light is better.

right now the nitrates are close to zero because I newly seeded the tank when I got the betta a week and a half ago.

I've tried salting to .01%, and a powdered antibiotic. I'll try the tea leaves, next. :)

I can't edit the last post, but this is what I mean by the "Pearl" it was the best I could get on my camera phone. Can you see where his eye isn't swollen out of his head, but the white bump under his eye? :(

261owac.jpg

Hmmm, that is a little different to what I was expecting, to be honest! it doesnt look like a clouded eye really :[

I dont have much experience of anything like this so im not sure what else to say. I think just keeping the water really clean would probably be your best bet - eyes regenerate really well so it may just take time and care.

One thing, though: would you say that the pearl looks like it would be solid/hard?

Its hard to tell in the pic, but is the pearl on the inside or outside of the eye? like is it above or below the lens?

At least he looks healthy in every other respect!

Here is the link for the old post. I still can't find my testing kit, so I guess I'm going to have to run to the pet store tonight.

He's doing great, other than that little pearl. :( I think the pearl is soft, because I've seen it get a little indent when he pushes it against the glass to get a better look at me. :rofl The pearl is like.. directly under the eye itself. It's almost like.. Eye ---> Oo<--- Pearl. I can't really describe it any better, and I don't think I'll be able to get a better picture without a fancy camera. XD