AquaClear 50 vs Tetra Whisper 20-40

Forrest

After reading a lot of your guys reviews and opinions I decided to upgrade my Tetra Whisper 20-40 to a AquaClear 50. Man what a difference between night and day.

First thing I notice is the AquaClear requires less wall space. Its roughly ½ free space from the wall now. Then there is the lip portion, it doesn’t hang so far into the tank its really nice. I think the lip portion saved another ½ space also.

The noise difference. Tetra Whisper is a miss leading name. Compared to the AquaClear it should be called Tetra Screamer.

Biological value? You all probably know it but the aqua clear just has a lot of media going on, the surface area alone is greater when you factor in every thing inside it.

End result is I am incredibly happy with the purchase.

The only thing I need to say in defense of the Tetra Whisper here is that from what I see, you compare two different sizes. So of course the AC50 holds more media than the Whisper 20-40.

Have you tried the Whisper EX series? I personally like them although I know that the AC is more quiet, but the sound of the EX filters is barely audible over the sizzling of the bursting bubbles from all my bubble wands/stones. :)

The only thing I need to say in defense of the Tetra Whisper here is that from what I see, you compare two different sizes. So of course the AC50 holds more media than the Whisper 20-40.

Have you tried the Whisper EX series? I personally like them although I know that the AC is more quiet, but the sound of the EX filters is barely audible over the sizzling of the bursting bubbles from all my bubble wands/stones. :)

No I didn’t try the EX series. They only had the Tetra FS2040 and some smaller models and larger models. At the time Tetra seemed the best thing there and probably still is.

So yeah I compared a Tetra 20-40 which I believe had a 200GPH, which was physically larger and louder with less media.

To a AquaClear 50 which has same GPH but smaller, quieter and more media.

I think its a pretty fair comparison. If you have 25 bucks to spend your better off with the AquaClear 50.

Oh yeah all I can hear are the bubbles in my tank also now. I am kind of thinking I should make those quiet now haha.

Edited by Forrest