Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Moving my tank to a new home- My strategy

So i am re-locating to a new temporary home while we search for a home to buy (exciting yes!) my fish tanks are obviosly coming with me. Here is what i plan to do. The commute is only 15 minutes:

Take the filter media and the fish and put it in a 5 gallon bucket (4 fish in one bucket, 3 in another bucket) and move them with the water filled about 3/4. I plan to cover it with tin foil with poked holes, to avoid splashing water.

Once i can get the two tanks set up in the new home, i will fill them with de-chlorinated water, just like a regular water change.

Any advice? Does this sound like a good plan?

I also have live plants, i plan to just keep them in the bucket with the fish...

Edited by Midnight

Thats pretty much how I did it with all my tanks Moves :thumb:

Good luck, Daniel! Sounds like you have everything under control!

Sounds good! That's basically what I did for a 90-minute move about 10 years ago, and I didn't even have a cycle bump. Congratulations on your imminent house purchase!

thanks guys. its going to be torture for a while, we are living in a seperate apartment attached to my in-laws house. But it will save me at least a 1,000 -1,200 a month that can be used for the down payment.

Oh and you bet my home search involves scoping out a nice area for a pond, along with my indoor tanks. Stopped by a Koi store and admired a fish that was probably 2 and a half feet long. One giant Koi- Expensive too

I love house hunting. Have fun and good luck with the moves!

just be sure to fast them a few days once moved, keep the lights off also for a few days incase they've experience any stress. remember, signs of stress show later, so don't panic if you see something out of the ordinary in the next few days after the move, even after a week. try to keep their transporting bucket/tub as dark as possible.

as far as moving filter/media, the plan sounds fine.

It sounds like you've got a great plan for transferring the tanks and everything. Congrats and Good Luck on the home searching!

Good luck! I hope you find a fantastic new home and hang in there with the in laws. At least it is an apartment, just pretend it isn't attached.

sounds like a plan! The only thing I might suggest is to lower the water level in the buckts. There is a lot splashing during the drive.

good luck and happy house hunting!

sounds like you have the basic's covered :) good luck with the move :)

thanks again. I am already digging into my 401K fund to ge tthe down payment rolling. i like my privacy!

I think narrower, taller buckets are best too - since there's less water movement in them :) But all sounds good to me, good luck! :D