Sign in to follow this  
monkeyzero

Tilapia in gel foods

Hiya

Just a quick question. I was wondering if I can use tilapia in a recipe for gel foods. Also pink salmon or even tuna. We have a LOT of tilapia. And I have a little bit of frozen shrimp left over as well.

Also, will a 500 mg of Vit. C be ok? And does garlic have anti paristic properties? It's for tropical fish(neons, rainbows, angels, cories).

Thanks

Edited by Monkeyzero

I used tuna in my gel food and the goldies love it. They will love the garlic paste too :P. The angels on the other hand, didn't get the whole idea of gel food.

Yes you can use tilapia or salmon or tuna. I used a combo of salmon and tuna in my latest gel food. I think you are supposed to use just a multi-vitamin not only vitamin C but I don't add the vitamins to my gel food. Garlic is supposed to help with the immunity of you fish, and fish go crazy for it!! Not too sure about anti-parasitic properties tho...

Tilapia is fine to use in gel food. I'm not sure about mg of vitamins -- that's why I don't add supplements to my own gel food, as I don't want to add too much of something harmful. I alternate my gel food with a reputable pellet, so I know they're getting balanced nutrition. Pink salmon and shrimp are fine, too, and as Ashlee said, tuna works well too.

I don't think garlic has actual anti-parasitic effects on fish, any more than it repels fleas from dogs (tried that once, and ended up with an itchy pug who smelled like a pizzeria!). But it's a great appetite stimulant and will encourage your fish to gobble up your gel food.

I made my gelfood with sardines....stank the entire kitchen out :( I usually find that smelly food like that sends the goldfish wild anyway, so in terms of an appetite stimulant the garlic's not necessary, but it is good for them just like it is for people :) Maybe I should go roast some garlic instead of tucking into this chocolate orange...

I don't think garlic has actual anti-parasitic effects on fish, any more than it repels fleas from dogs (tried that once, and ended up with an itchy pug who smelled like a pizzeria!). But it's a great appetite stimulant and will encourage your fish to gobble up your gel food.

:exactly

And your fish can live without fear of vampire fish :rofl :rofl :rofl

I hope you weren't hungry :lol:rofl

The only thing I would worry about is the Vitamin C. It's acidic, and so it might mess with your tank's pH if you add too much.

You can add pretty much any fish and shrimp to the gel food, as long as it is not seasoned in any way. Canned tuna or pink salmon etc needs to be rinsed thoroughly, or buy the kind without salt added. I usually buy frozen tilapia or salmon for my gel food, then cook it and use it in the gel food recipe. :)

So I am using 3 envelopes for Knox Unflavored gel.

What ratio veges to meat should I put in.

I will be using tilapia fillets and peeled shrimp.

I will also use carrots. What other fruits/veges will be good?

Here is a breakdown of the veges and stuff I have

3 packs geletin Knox

1 1/2 C Chopped brocolli

1 1/2 C Sliced Zuchini

1 Carrot

2 Tilapia Fillets

1/4 C Shrimp

1/4 C French Cut beans(frozen)

1/4 C Frozen Okra

Lots of garlic and ginger.

An apple

Romaine Lettuce Hearts

Fresh Red Chilis :)

And of course Tetra Color Plus flakes

Thats all that I found would be safe for the fishies.

What should I use? Any recipes ideas?

Edited by Monkeyzero