Sign in to follow this  
Eleanorsmom

Thank goodness she's pretty....

I feed sinking pellets (along with other stuff such as bloodworms, veggies, etc).

Eleanor and Cedric understand that the pellets come in, then sink to the bottom. They eat pellets off the bottom.

I've only had Sylvia, Fiddy Cent, and Bonita for a few weeks. Sylvia and Fiddy Cent understand the sinking pellets too. Pellets come in from the top, sink to the bottom. Got it. They eat pellets off the bottom too.

Then there is poor Bonita. She does not understand. Food comes in the top then it....disappears? So while the others are eating, she is frantically swimming at the surface looking for any stray pellets that didn't go straight to the bottom. She also likes to poke around in the plants. When I feed them, regardless of what I feed them, nine times out of ten she is oblivious. Everyone else eats and she is still busy poking on the plants not noticing that it's time to eat.

Bonita is beautiful. She is not the brightest fish in the tank.

How long have you had Bonita ?

I've had her for about 6 weeks now.

Bonita is beautiful. She is not the brightest fish in the tank.

i got 3 like this in the totts tank!.. :rofl

Bonita maybe just slow then. Normally in the first week or so, they get used to it.

I have a fish Jupiter, that it will take about 10 mins after I feed Charlie and Myng to wake up. So I have to feed a small meal first then wait till shes awake and feed again. Shes just that way :lol

I know I was kind of making fun of her, but in all seriousness, I do worry about her getting enough to eat. She is the smallest out of everyone.

Right now she is eating algae off one of the plants. She ignores the moss ball I put in there specifically for her because she likes to poke around the plants so much I thought she would snack on it a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She might be missing the top floor if you know what I mean :lol:rofl

My moor's the slow one in the tank, then she sees a pellet go past her eye and ends up pirhouetting round it before darting off after another one...I think there's one in every tank! If you're getting particularly concerned about her not getting enough food you could scoop her into a box for feeding and she can get them in her own time off the bottom of the box then, I have done this when one fish in the tank is on medicated food and the others aren't.

then you need to try and teach them like the rest of us try. for example. now, my tele's know to go to one side of the tank, and the others to the otherside by the way i tap the cabinet wood.

you can basically see them forming routine depending on the tap they hear.

this needs lots of patience, but it is possible and does work.

I thought about separating her during feeding time. All of them, including Bonita, will readily swim right up to my hands. Catching any of them is no problem and wouldn't likely stress her out. I could put her in a breeding net long enough for her to eat.

A day in the life of Bonita is literally like this:

Playing in the plants playing in the plants playing in the plants, oh look! BUBBLES! Ride the bubbles playing in the plants oh there is food hey where did it go? Oh my god I can't find it! It's gone! I know it was just here! Oh well playing in the plants playing in the plants BUBBLES!

Playing in the plants playing in the plants playing in the plants, oh look! BUBBLES! Ride the bubbles playing in the plants oh there is food hey where did it go? Oh my god I can't find it! It's gone! I know it was just here! Oh well playing in the plants playing in the plants BUBBLES!

you know. this reminds me of that forgetful fish in "finding nemo" hehe

I do feed in the left corner of the tank. Everyone congregates there when I approach...except my little genius who is busy playing in the plants.

I am just going to watch her and do the separation thing if I get really concerned.

Everyone else is just so smart and she is just so...not.

I thought about separating her during feeding time. All of them, including Bonita, will readily swim right up to my hands. Catching any of them is no problem and wouldn't likely stress her out. I could put her in a breeding net long enough for her to eat.

You don't need to use your hands for catching - that's just asking for slimecoat damage if you do it too often, you can just get a plastic box, like an ice-cream tub, and scoop her into it when she comes to the top, it should just float and you can feed her in there. Just don't forget to let her out again afterwards!

Dory :lol

I feed my fish in the same spot every time.... Now Charlie is trained to come up with mouth wide open to get pellets, just be careful she spits :lol

Im training Myng and Jupiter to follow the finger :lol

you know. this reminds me of that forgetful fish in "finding nemo" hehe

We should make a goldfish version of that movie!

aww.... poor bonita :) I have to admit I giggled a little at the idea of her frantically searching the top while the others munch away at the bottom. Poor girl.

She really is pretty :) maybe you can pre soak the food, and add some to the tank for the ones ho know to go to the bottom,then add a bit more for the slower goldfish :) So she gets her share while the others are at the bottom??? hope that helps :)

Let the others eat off the bottom, she wants you to hand feed her!

(and that is a perfect way to ensure she gets enough food)

Edited by Acro

That is because Bonita no comprende de englisch.

:lol

So this morning I scooped Bonita up in a colander and fed her. It worked beautifully.

This evening I walked up to the tank and everyone immediately swam to the front to beg for food...including Bonita! I fed them a teeny bit and she still doesn't understand that the food sinks to the bottom. At least she did recognize that everyone was coming to the front and joined in this time.

with my newbies who were used to flakes and not sinking gel food i kept them in QT untill they got it from what i always noticed is once you move away from teh tank for a little while they eventually go toward the bottom and thats when they are able to find the food but with other fish in there who eat it all up before they can theres no connection