green water aquarium!

dalek3

sorry if iam being so obnoxious with questions so sorry. But i want a green water aquarium so how do you make a green water aquarium? Thanks sorry again :) you guys rule!!!!! I promise to stop asking so many questions sorry and thanks again!!!! :)

• Supporter

i don't know what the answer is here, but do not feel as though you're inundating us with questions.. we're all here to learn from eachother.

i would like to grow green water too. i shall be keeping an eye on this thread to learn from it. thank you for posting :)

i don't know what the answer is here, but do not feel as though you're inundating us with questions.. we're all here to learn from eachother.

i would like to grow green water too. i shall be keeping an eye on this thread to learn from it. thank you for posting :)

^Agreed! All questions asked in the spirit of learning and betterment are welcomed, as they will teach us all something. :)

As to the green water, I do remember several members on this board who inadvertently green water and then had to work really hard to get rid of it. Perhaps they can add their experience as to what they did when they DID have the green compared to when they did not...

I asked the question to a guy at the LFS he looked at me funny shrugged and said "just don't change the water" he looked really confused he looked like this => :undecided:

ok so ive been doing a TON of research about green water and can probably help out (hopefully0 though i must warn i have not yet tried it myself but this is what ive learned.

to start you needa clean clean aquarium or tub if ti has been used as an aquarium before youll need to scrub it out very well use bleach water if you want or salt water or just plain ole hot water.

when you set the tank up ready for the new water you need to remove all gravel all tank decos and all filters benefical bacteria is a nono for green water ANY BB will kill the algea growth which also includeds bubbles wands if youve been useing the bubble wand in another tank scrub it soak it or jsut get a new one.

you NEED a daylight bulb specifically for growing plants nothing else will do you need a rateing of 6500K if your tank is deeper then 24 inches youll need a metal halide lamp so there is enough light to reach the bottom

in the begining youll be wanting a high amonia in the tank which can be very stressful to your fish so make sure your fish is very very healthy and hardy before attempting this becuase it is going to be about 2 weeks before the greenw ater developes!

an air pump is very very important becuase once you get green water the fish can suffocate without oxygen so ALWAYS be sure to have an air pump

keep the light on! the more light the water gets the better/ faster youll produce green water!

when feeding your fish make sure the food you feed doesnt contain a PBS (chroma) keep a a close watch on the water for a few days if the water begins turning brown toss all the water out and begin again though sometiems green can appear brown so use a white cup not clear but white to check to see the waters true color

once you get good green water siphon out about 10% of it into a bucket to keep (yes all 10 percent) and drain the rest add clean water as usual along with the 10 percent of the green water and within a day the entire tank/tub will be green water again (but dont worry if it takes 2-3 days however if you dont get greenw ater within that time your probably not getting enough light )

now to keep your fishies healthy in green water youll want to keep them a bit understocked simply becuase no filtration=high amonia levels all the time so be prepared to do large and frequant water changes always making sure to save 10 percent of the green water to add to the new water. dont expect to get away with only doing water changes weekly but about 4 times weekly.

hope i could be of some help!

thanks xchairity_casex i will try that!!! does this work if you have live plants in the water such anubias?

I wouldn't have fish in the water I was trying to turn green. Green water is really easy to prepare if you can do it outside. Just take the water you remove from the tank during a water change and use it to wash your filter and filter media. Put the dirty water in a bucket or tub outside in the sun. Cover it with a screen to keep out bugs and other critters. It should be green in a few days.

You can use this water to prepare a gw aquarium for your fish. Run the green water through some kind of mechanical filter (like several layers of cheesecloth) to remove debris, and add it to clean water in the aquarium. Test the water and if the parameters are fine add fish.

Add more used aquarium water to the bucket of green water to keep the little green things growing.

You can do the same thing indoors with a good grow light, but sunlight is best.

So what can i do with my anubias? Outside in my backyard growing green water will be hard there are leeches that crawl in every water source they can find but i don't mind fishing them out of the water but they will usually contaminate the water with their slime and other junk they have on them i love them though ;)

I would anyways try this green water experiment in a separate tub to where the goldfish are. You need to be very careful with it as it needs to be the perfect shade of green - same color as 1ppm ammonia in the API testers. If it turns any other shade, or brown etc, the water has to be changed out completely. i would read more about it before you put your fish in it. It can suffocate the fish if not done properly. And you will need to do many many large water changes to do it successfully.

I have made green water with a tank that had 2 watts per gallon with plant growing bulbs 6500 and 10,000.

I also put co2 in the water but I don't recommend doing this because you will kill the fish in a empty tank.

Don t put any plants in the tank and just wait, it should happen.

Also don't keep changing the water so you have zero nitrates because you will need it for the algae to grow. No nitrates = no fertilizer I believe.

Long story short, high watt per gallon at least 2 watts, with plant growing lights with nitrate for fertilizer and no live plants to compete and I think it will happen.