Rena xP4 is on sale at Pet$mart

Was just in my local Pet$mart and they are having a clearance on their Rena canisters. The huge xP4's are $114, regularly $229. They are listed at Amazon at $175.

They're rated at 450gph, and my Fluval 405 is only 340. With the problems I've been having with my Fluval, I'm seriously considering the purchase.

Anyone have an xP4 and want to comment on quality/longevity/performance?

I have two Rena xP1s and one xP2. The xP2 has been operating for over three years non-stop with no problems whatsoever. The xP1s are going on two years. I like them. You can get a lot of "bang" (i.e. gallons per hour) for your buck with xPs. Mine are really, really quiet, too, which is important to me.

Thank you very much for the offer. I'm going to take a drive up to Petsmart about an hour from here and get them. I asked them to hold two for me. I'll decide on getting one or two tomorrow or Saturday when I go up there.

Again, I appreciate the very kind offer, but I thought I might take a drive up there with my dog :)

Uh-oh, maybe I spoke too soon. I just did a google search for "rena xp4 problems" and found some archived threads of people having problems with them. The gist is that the xP4 is just an xP3, with a more powerful motor and a taller case. Apparently the more powerful motor causes the impeller to break fairly quickly because it's just all the guts from the xP3 without being upgraded to handle the power of the bigger motor.

So Alex, it might be worth a quick search/read before you head out.

That said, a lot of people in that same thread stated they loved the xP3's and had been using them for a long time. One guy even suggested just buying a pair of 3's which would be cheaper than the purchase of a single 4 (at the normal retail prices) and give even more gph. The other Rena xP's were on the same clearance pricing, so maybe a pair of 3's would be a better play?

The other Rena xP's were on the same clearance pricing, so maybe a pair of 3's would be a better play?

I think it's always great if possible to have two filters on a tank, just in case one has problems. You can lose your cycle if there's an issue and you only have one filter.

I think I may not get the XP4s but go with the Fluval FX5. Or two 405s. Whatever I get will go together with my little Eheim Ecco (which I love) and probably 1 AC70 (for QT use when necessary). I've been wanting the Fluval canister for a long while now, so I think I will go with that.

Thank you, Austinado, for alerting us to this great savings, though. Please do pass these things along when you do know of them in the future :)

Thank you for that input. I'm still on the fence between either getting two 405s or the FX5 and cannot make up my mind. So any input at all is much appreciated. :)

I think the multiple filter idea is an excellent one. I've often thought, "What if this thing grenades at zero-dark-thirty." Although, I guess if that happened, even late at night, they'd survive just fine until I could get to the petbox store in the morning and buy another.

Still, I keep thinking that if I ever stumble across a Fluval 205 or 305 for cheap at a garage sale/swapmeet/craigslist/etc. I'll grab it and add it to the tank.