Sign in to follow this  
CmB

Flukes

Does it look like Speckled has flukes? I have already treated him for SBD (fasting, peas, Epsom salt) and that hasn't helped his behavior at all.

Here is a picture of him taken 2 days ago:

IMG-20110929-00123.jpg

I ordered the Prazi. It should be here soon.

• * Ammonia Level ?
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.0, KH 40, GH 180
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.0, KH 120, GH 180

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API strips
  • * Water temperature? It’s been 78 to 79 this week but today it dropped to 77 because it’s cool/raining outside
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon/since 2003, everything has been replaced
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Three new filters, all installed last month within three weeks of each other, one AC 70 and two AC 30s. (The water flow would have been too strong if I had two AC 70s)
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 7 days, every other time 30%, then the next time 40%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 30%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5, the largest is 6 inches when you include her tail. The Ryukin is 4 inches; the other 3 are pretty small.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega One Pellets once every day, FD blood worms once a week, FD Daphnia once a week, cooked broccoli, peas or cauliflower every Saturday w/o pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Epsom salt last week
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Five tablespoons of Epsom salt last week
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He races up to the top of the tank and blows out air (or sucks it up), rubs his side on the gravel, bottom sits, swims strangely. I looked for spots on him but he looks normal.

I would cut out the broc/cali first. Those are notorous for causing float. also, try cutting out pellets. Have you tried gel food?

It doesn't look like flukes but a swim bladder problem.

I've never tried gel food. I guess I'll keep feeding peas for a while. :hmm

Sorry to hear about Speckled

It looks like dropsy unfortunately...

Also- I noticed that you use the test strips for your readings. I would highly recommend getting the API freshwater master kit- it's a drop system that is far more accurate for water readings :D

Is he eating ok right now?

Respectfully, I don't see that at all.

Sorry to hear about Speckled

Also- I noticed that you use the test strips for your readings. I would highly recommend getting the API freshwater master kit- it's a drop system that is far more accurate for water readings :D

Is he eating ok right now?

He ate his peas just fine this morning. He is looking a lot better today. I wonder if I should use the Prazi when it gets here just in case?

Thanks for the replies everyone. :heart

How long have you had them? I am inclined to suggest to hold off on the Prazi, focus on the SBD, and then treat in the future if there is a need. Because you have Prazi on hand, you can treat immediate if there are symptoms :)

I agree, I think you should fast/pea feed these guys. your one fish does have SBD :(

How long have you had them? I am inclined to suggest to hold off on the Prazi, focus on the SBD, and then treat in the future if there is a need. Because you have Prazi on hand, you can treat immediate if there are symptoms :)

I've had Speckled and Mary for 30 months, Marianne for 5 months and Auggie and Tiny for 2 months.

I agree, I think you should fast/pea feed these guys. your one fish does have SBD :(

Yeah, that's what I am going to do. :thanks

I'm just wondering, if he has SBD, would that cause him to race up to the top and stick his mouth out of the water?