Fantail anal fins...

Midnight112x

I am not sure what you mean by "spreads out sideways". But many fance goldfish are "born" with just a single anal fin. Just like the double tail, the double anal is technically a mutation. The single anal fin occurs all the time and is one of the things that breeders usually look for, so they can cull the ones with single anal fins. I'm also not sure what you mean with "mixed breeding", but maybe that's because I am so darn tired. :rofl

I could be using the wrong word. I think actually the anal fin is near its "exit hole" when i am actually talking about the tail fins. I have 3 fantails and two of them have basically two tail fins that flow. The fins tend to stay in the vertical (up and down) region but flow nicely.

The third fantail looks like his tail fin is joined together and flows more horiztonal- From the top view you can see it spread out

does that make sense?

My question is which tail fin is a mutation?

P.S. the two of them have fins like Vanille. Vertical for the most part

Edited by Midnight

Ah ok I got you. You mean the two tail fins are joined! That is not unusual either. I am not sure if this actually qualifies as mutation or not, but I know that this happens to a lot of fancies too. Kupo for example is just like that. His two tails are joined basically all the way, and from the top view his tail is more spread out. Wakka's tail fins are joined 50%.

How big is the one with the joined fins? When Kupo was little, it looked kind of funny. But with him becoming a little hambeast now, his tail is nice and flowy and more vertical too. I guess the increased length of the fins are now weighing them down more. :)

Thanks Fang. The one with the joined fins is small, maybe 2 inches. i have had him since about February or March. Maybe January im not sure... ANyways He is growing slowly but he may be a stunted one. I will add that he is almost as big as Tony Stark, the other fantail, but Tony's fins are seperate. The joined fin is actually a decent size also, it isnt small.

My injured Lionhead, Bernie Williams, has the same "joined tail fin" that is seen better from above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...