Sign in to follow this  
magpie14

Filter Accident!

So there was an accident with my filter, and my baby ryukin managed to get stuck in the intake tube on her side!

I'm not sure how long she was there, I don't think for very long, but it pulled a bunch of her scales off. Everything LOOKS okay, but I can't tell if there's internal damage. She is swimming kinda slowly, and keeps drifting... her breathing is slower too. Is there anyway I can help save her?! Please let me know ASAP!!!!

So sorry this happened to your fish! :(

Could you please fill out all the questions below so that members can give you accurate advice :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Filling out the form is a big help, because generally fish don't get stuck to a filter unless something is already off. In the meantime, if you can get the baby in a quarentine tank to keep her from being picked on by the others it would be a big help.

As far as tank conditions go, the nitrates/nitrites/ammonia are all zero. pH is at 7.2, I don't know the hardness but I use water purchased from my local fish store that has been filtered and specially treated. I use the Kordon NovAqua Plus as conditioner, as well as an aquarium optimizer called TLC for freshwater aquariums. I do not add anything else. My water is tested at my local fish store weekly. There are four fish in my tank, one fantail, two oranda and one ryukin. They are all about 3 inches long, except for the ryukin who is approx. 1.5 inches long. (nose to end of tail) They are fed strictly Hikari food, a blend of the goldfish staple and the standard goldfish formula, as well as lionhead pellets for the orandas. They also get peas and bloodworms on occasion.

The tank is 37 gallons, been running for about 5 months now. 25% water changes are done weekly, with gravel vacuuming. The last water change I did was two days ago with 25% replaced. The tank has two filters, both Aqueon. I don't remember which models, however. Both are larger filters.

All the fish in my tank are 100% healthy and happy, with the exception of my ryukin who was sucked into the filter.

Do you have live plants? If you aren't showing nitrates it doesn't look like your tank is cycled. Any idea on that? Was your filter doing anything unusual? Was the baby ryukin a new fish...quarentined? How was the behavior before? Any chance you can get pics? For now, I would isolate the ryukin with .1% salt and daily water changes.

The tank is cycled, trust me on that. There are no live plants in the tank either. Before the accident, she was completely fine. Nothing wrong with her at all, a completely healthy and happy little fish. The filter is just kind of strong is all and had an open intake instead of having a screen or whatever on it. We were actually working on fixing this issue and this happened.

There is NO bruising, blood, torn fins... just some of her scales were ripped off and it looks like the part of her that we stuck in the filter is a little swollen... actually I just noticed she isn't using one of her pectoral fins. I think its broken???

Edited by magpie

Here's a video of her:

I don't know if putting her in quarantine alone will help. Is there a painkiller maybe that will help with the pain, so she doesn't simply give up?? Also, I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week and a half and my family will be the ones watching over my fish, but I don't know if they're apt enough to take care of an injured goldfish. They don't know her like I do. Plus, if I leave her alone she stops swimming and will kinda just give up, unless I go up to the tank and she'll start going again. Please help!

She looks like she's doing pretty well in the video. I saw her go nose-down a couple of times but she was able to correct herself. If you can't put her in quarantine while you're away, can you get larger plastic basket with lots of holes in it to keep her in the main tank? I got one at the dollar store, and it works really well to keep the fish from swimming around too much, or being overtaken by the current. If you go that route, make sure the holes are not big enough to get her nose stuck in, and anchor it somehow in an area that the other fish can't get stuck behind it.

I agree with Amy, your tank should be showing nitrates. Especially considered that you are lightly overstocked and do insufficient water changes. Are you sure your test kit works alright? Did you test for all of them? And what test kit?

The thing is, without exact, accurate numbers of everything it is hard to help. We can't suggest certain treatments because it looks like the numbers you gave us are inaccurate.

Also the filter, you said the fish was sucked in the intake TUBE? Doesn't your filter have a protective basket at the end?

to me, your fish appears to have either a swim bladder issue or is constipated. in order to determine if it is one of these and to decide the next course of action, it is very important that we gain the information to the following questions:

temperature of the tank:

do you have a heater:

ammonia:

nitrAtes:

nitrItes:

PH:

if possible:

KH:

GH:

i see you get your water tested at the LFS, please if you can, have it tested as soon as possible. if they can use drop test kits rather than test strips, the drops are better for accuracy.. ensure you walk away with the actual numbers written down and post back here.