Shipping Bag Water Test Results

I had the opportunity to receive two shipments of blacks from two different suppliers yesterday morning and thought it would be interesting to share the results and differences of the water within the shipping bags. One shipment came from Tommy at goldfishnet and the other from Ken at DO. Once they arrived the bags were placed in the QT tank to equalize the temperature for a 30 minute period. The bags were then opened and each fish was immediately transferred to a fresh water dip tank of equal temperature. After a period of 15 minutes in the fresh water they again were moved into QT with 0.1% salt and Prazi. The final result this time was much better than the previous shipment I received with a definite reduction in stress to the fish. Both shipments were phenomenal....my thanks to both Tommy and Ken.

Box #1- Goldfishnet from TX (note these fish were shipped in green water)

Ammonia 1.0

pH low 6.2

Nitrates 0.5

Nitrites 0.5

KH low 40 ppm

GH soft 75 ppm

TH_test.jpg

Box #2- Dandy Orandas from MI

Ammonia 4.0

pH moderate alkaline 7.8

Nitrates 0.0

Nitrites 0.0

KH high 300 ppm

GH very hard 300 ppm

do_test.jpg

Well, that makes sense that the green water had less ammonia. For a while the algae probably continued consuming it.

Either way, great post! I find stuff like this very interesting.

And OMG IT'S DENNIS' HAND!! You gotta post that in the members pictures topic. It sure is a step up from the knee photo :rofl

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Well, that makes sense that the green water had less ammonia. For a while the algae probably continued consuming it.

Either way, great post! I find stuff like this very interesting.

And OMG IT'S DENNIS' HAND!! You gotta post that in the members pictures topic. It sure is a step up from the knee photo :rofl

LOL thanks Miss Fang. Hey, it's one appendage at a time here. :pp

Very interesting. I have a question regarding PH. Mine is 8 something.

These fish, specially Tommy's, were in low ph. I've never tried to match my new arrivals ph.

I've never really experienced a problem either. Should I be doing something about ph match? when introducing new arrivals to their tanks?

Very interesting. I have a question regarding PH. Mine is 8 something.

These fish, specially Tommy's, were in low ph. I've never tried to match my new arrivals ph.

I've never really experienced a problem either. Should I be doing something about ph match? when introducing new arrivals to their tanks?

I'm sure others may differ in opinion on this, but a bit of shock from an upswing pH difference is much more preferable to acclimating while in that tremendous amount of ammonia. You can use prime to detoxify 1-2ppm ammonia, but when it comes to 4 (or 8 like last time Dennis posted), I think it's much better to get them out of all that toxicity. They'll get over the pH difference fairly quickly.

Kaytee, I agree with Alex on your pH questton. It's never an issue to move from a low pH to a high pH. It's when you add fish from a high pH to a low pH that can shock them. A sudden drop in pH of 2 points or more will definitely shock and kill goldfish.

A sudden drop in pH of 2 points or more will definitely shock and kill goldfish.

:exactly

A 2 point pH drop is actually a 100-fold drop, since pH is on a logarithmic scale.

• Admin

That was so cool to see Dennis :thumb:

As for ph when its coming from low going to high, make sure you just do a 1/2 bag soak along with adding about 1/4 cup of water every 15 mins. this makes it alittle less stressful on them :thumb: