My Little Rescue!

Moonstream

I had goldfish ages ago as a little kid; in bowls and then later in a 10g tank with 2 common plecos. what a terrible, terrible tank, that was. still, the whole family got really attached to the goldfish; besides a parade of fantails, we had 2 who originated from my brother's 2.5g bowl- a black moor named 'Blacky,' and red cap common named 'Reddy.' Blacky eventually turned gold, and we lost him after like 3 or 4 years while we were on vacation; when we came back we couldnt find him anywhere, I figure the others must have eaten the body. Reddy we had about six months longer than Blacky; we got him about an inch and a half two inches long, and he ended up somewhere around 3 to 4.5", I think. my dad ended up taking him back to the petstore while my brother and I were away.

I've been wanting goldfish since then, but was always more interested by tropicals and reefs. yesterday, one of my neighbors came to my mom to say her daughter had a goldfish living in a bowl that was going to die if no one took it, and since she knew I had lots of fish, she wanted to know if I wanted it? I said yes on the spot, and went over there earlier today to pick the poor thing up.

she's actually a very nice woman; I go to school with her son and he's friends with my brother; I think hers is a case of misinformation, she really didnt want to see the poor thing suffer. anyways, this is the bowl the poor thing was in:

DSC_0178.jpg

for size perspective, that's a small brine shrimp net on top, and a 1/4 cup measuring cup beside it.

here's the little survivor; I'd guess he's (I dont know the gender, but I dont like to call my animals 'it' so I've decided that this one is a male) about an inch long. I have him in a 10g for now, until I can sell off one of my other tanks and get a larger home (and hopefully a friend along with it). I'm filling the tank slowly to avoid shocking it with clean water; he's really perked up from when I first brought him home.

and the little one, finally:

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

at first I assumed this little one was a normal fantail, but now I'm thinking maybe he may be a ryukin, or a cross between the two? he has a rather deep, concave body, and a rather tall dorsal and what could be the start of a hump. some pic's that show what I'm talking about:

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

and the half-filled tank in which he will be living for now (its a 10g, by the way; a bubble wand, 2 silk plants, one plastic, some floating salvinia, duckweed and a bit of dwarf water lettuce for grazing, and I'm going to add some rotala for grazing as well):

DSC_0180.jpg

I'm hoping to use this thread to document his growth. hopefully he isnt stunted, or at least not too stunted. he was only in the bowl for a few weeks, apparently. anyways, he's acting like a normal, healthy goldfish now, which is a good sign!

Edited by Moonstream

thanks! :D

I think I'm in love, lol. he's just the cutest little thing I've ever seen!

I've been thinking of names; I'd like t stick with something more unisex, incase he turns out to be a she, but here is what I'm thinking so far: Bug, Blimpy, Pea or Peabody, Wiggles or Worm; I also sort of like the name Chico, even though its not unisex. any suggestions are welcome; I'm hoping a name will give him strength to pull through; I'm really worried about losing him now that I've gotten attached. :(

Edited by Moonstream

so those are ammonia burns; I thought they might just be part of his coloring :( poor thing. will they heal? or are they a permanent thing?

hopefully I can get his permanent home under way soon; I just need to find time to move my lionfish from his nanocube to the biocube that will be his permanent home, and then get the nanocube sold, and I can go looking for Blimpy's new home!

this week I'm going to focus on getting him on a better diet. peas are on the menu tomorrow, the frozen bloodworms sunday, and then I'll start on either gel food or a good pellet brand. I dont even know what they were feeding him; probably some generic goldfish food, though.

thanks :D I'm trying my best for the little guy. unfortunately I'm neglecting my bettas a bit in the process. I have a case of fin rot I need to start treating ASAP (I though it as tail biting), and I need to get them into better quarters soon, too.

anyways, I took a few updated pics of the 'lil thing:

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0193-1.jpg

DSC_0192-1.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0190-1.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

and another shot showing just how small his old home was; his current tank is a 10g; his old home is the tea pot sitting on top of the tank to the right:

DSC_0195.jpg

and today, I got his newest home- a 40g breeder for $40. plan is to get him 2 friends once the cycle is done. can't wait, and I'm sure he'll be glad to have company!

so those are ammonia burns; I thought they might just be part of his coloring :( poor thing. will they heal? or are they a permanent thing?

hopefully I can get his permanent home under way soon; I just need to find time to move my lionfish from his nanocube to the biocube that will be his permanent home, and then get the nanocube sold, and I can go looking for Blimpy's new home!

this week I'm going to focus on getting him on a better diet. peas are on the menu tomorrow, the frozen bloodworms sunday, and then I'll start on either gel food or a good pellet brand. I dont even know what they were feeding him; probably some generic goldfish food, though.

Yes, they should heal within a few weeks with nice, clean water! :)

Awww, he's so cute! Good on you for the rescue, and congrats on the new baby!

I would have been thinking about Alice in Wonderland for the name, I think, considering the teapot!

I can't believe they were keeping a fish in that - but at least they recognized it was a bad idea.

Adorable! Thanks for sharing!

He's absolutely adorable and super lucky to have gotten you as a momma. :)

I also got a chuckle out of that teapot/bowl sitting on top of the 10 gal. How ridiculous to have kept him in there...