Sign in to follow this  
mjbubbles

Sword Plant Turning Yellow And Brown Spots

Hi everyone. I recently bought some Parviflorus Tropica swords for my betta's 3 gallon jungle. They sent some extra plants so I put some in my goldfish 20 gallon. I planted both of them about 1 week ago.

The ones in the betta tank immediately began developing brown spots and now the leaves are turning yellow. The ones in the goldie tank are doing just fine. Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong with the swords in the jungle?

The setups:

3 gallon Betta tank, 78-80 degrees, pH 6.4, salted at .1% to treat a mold on his fins. I use exel flourish daily and some kind of Iron/Magnesium liquid fertilizer once a week. Substrate is gravel. Light is a 15watt strip that came with the tank and gets a lot of bright light from a window.

20 gallon goldie tank, 68 degrees, pH 7.6, no salt, exel flourish daily and Iron/Magnesium once a week.

In both tanks the plants roots are wrapped in the blue/white filter floss and "planted" in plastic pots. The rhizome is about 1/2 visible above the surface of the pot. This has worked well with the anubius and amazon ferns in my barebottom goldie tank. The light is a 17watt Flora Sun that I recently put in. Lights are on about 6 hours a day, and the tank gets a fair amount of natural light.

Is it the salt?

Any help would be appreciated. The betta loves his jungle, but the jungle does not seem to love the tank.

Thanks so much!!

mj

Maybe it is the salt, some plants are very sensitive to it and will begin to wilt even at low concentrations like 0.1%.

Is the flourish excel safe enough? Didn't Koko recently lose a bunch of guppies because of the excel?

I think I remember that about the exel. I had some problems with it when I used it in conjunction with salt and prazi, but now that there's no salt, Fluffy is just fine, and the plants are loving it.

I see! Well that's good then. :)

But for the sword plant I really tend to say it is the salt.

I have lost fish to excel too but still use it. You just have to be careful not to over dose. I would try extra water change for the plants in the 3 gallon. Maybe re do the tank with soil under the gravel. Or add some plant tabs in the gravel.

I had salt in my tank at 0.3% to treat ich sometime back in February (I think) and the sword was ok. Then again, I have a different species of sword so the salt is certainly a possibility.

My guess is that because you just planted the sword one week ago, it is losing its old leaves. If you bought them online or from a petstore, it's likely that they still have their terrestrial leaves. As the plant transitions to becoming submerged, it will lose it's old leaves and grow new ones. The terrestrial leaves are usually smaller, rounder and shorter in comparison to the stem. Also they are stiffer so they stand up when in the air. The new submerged type leaves are longer compared to the stem, have an elongated shape, and are limp when taken out of the water. The reason why they started wilting in the betta tank first could be that the temperature is warmer, so everything happens faster - the metabolism of the plant, the decomposition of dead leaves, etc.

To help the sword recover, I second Hidr's suggestion of either dirting the tank or adding some sustenance for the roots of the sword since Bettas don't produce much waste.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I will change the water in the tank to get out the salt, and just wait and see if the plants recover. Some root tabs are definitely in my future, since I don't want to put dirt in my tank.

I'll keep you posted!

I think swordplants are better to grow in some sort of sand/soil than pure gravel, just be sure not to bury the crown of the plant :[]

I would say Calluna is right, it is probably shedding some leaves from transplant shock and will probably look even better than when you bought it once it adjusts to its new home :]