Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

Big Fish...little Fish And Nls Pellets :)

I have a 5" common (including tail) and a 2.25" - 2.5" shubunkin goldfish in the same tank. The smaller fish is actually the quickest getting the food although both are fast movers. I was feeding the 1mm sinking pellets by NLS but it seemed like the big fish wasn't getting as much as the littler fish...he seems to not be able to see them as clearly until they hit the gravel at the bottom and by that time the little fish has eaten most of them. Today I put a 3 mm NLS sinking pellet in and my 5" fish easily saw it and ate it. The second pellet I put in, the smaller shubunkin grabbed it and just kept holding it in his mouth. He would then spit it out and suck it back in and hold it and then spit it out again and then eventually he ate it (all in one piece). Everytime he spit it out the big common goldfish would try and grab it and then the smaller fish would suck it back in quick to prevent the other fish from getting it. My question is...can a smaller fish like my shubunkin choke on a 3 mm NLS pellet? They say that you don't have to soak NLS pellets since they sink so there is very little air in them, and I've also heard that if you soak them you lose a lot of the healthy ingredients into the water you soaked them in. How would you suggest I feed these 2 goldfish? I want to stick with NLS pellets. Is it safe for me to put both sizes (1mm and 3mm) pellets in the tank even if the smaller fish is faster and grabs for the larger pellets?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Kayla :)

I would definitely feed both sizes. Since the smaller fish is faster, throw the 1mm pellets in and let the smaller one go at it. A few minutes later, throw in the larger pellets for the larger and slower fish. That might work :D