Sign in to follow this  
bubblegoose

Need Some Advice

I know this is the wrong forum, but to be honest I couldn't figure out where else to post it. :blink: Last week I had tried to post a topic under Disease treatment, twice...but it never did show up <_< ...it was a question regarding popeye treatment. Apparantly the question wasn't accepted under that forum? The question has nothing to do with disease diagnosis though...so I know it shouldn't be there...but anyways, on with the current question (which I think should be under Disease Treatment, but I'm afraid it won't show up, and I need an answer by tonight)...the topic can be moved to wherever it is most appropriate...

Anyway, I'm currently on day 5 of Maracyn2 treatment for popeye...my little Moe doesn't really look any better though. His one eye has been swollen for over a month (I was hoping it would go down on it's own, but it never did), so I'm thinking maybe it will take another dose to have any effect? I have the meds, the only problem is, I'm leaving town tomorrow for 3 days (until Sunday), so I can't continue dosing him....I could ask a friend to come over every day and do it, I wasn't planning on having them fed though. It would be a big favour, so I was also thinking maybe to wait till I get back, and then dose him another 5 days....but then I got to thinking that could maybe be really bad, because antibiotics need to be carried out it full (though I have completed a full treatment by now), or else immunity can develop...

What do you guys think? Should I give a continous dosage? or give him a little break? Thanks for the advice! :D

Edited by bubblegoose

bubblegoose,

personaly, i would continue treatment. sometimes it takes a couple of weeks of meds to cure popeye. i cured popeye in my rescue betta in about 1 1/2 weeks.

good luck! :hi

Also make sure that the temp in the tank is at least 78F the heat helps the swelling to go down. I also found out that Epson salt helps too about 1 teaspoon per 5 gals will help out.

Also I don't know if you have it or not but Metrogold will also help in this matter :D

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I will call my friend and see if she can come by every day to administer the meds...I don't think it should be a huge problem.

About the Epsom Salt...I don't have any...I do have sea salt, but was told that only Epsom salt would work...Is this so?....and if so, where would I get some (a grocery store perhaps?)

Thanks again!

I might be wrong but the fish may need a break from the antibiotics. A three day rest may help the fish recover before you start a whole new round (antibiotics are so stressful on them). Also you may need to try a different antibiotic if this one isn't working, unless it says to repeat full treatment if the first round doesn't work.

fishfelice you are right. I would once done with this dose of meds give the little one a few days of rest including a water change. Then I would go with Maracyn not the #2 this way he gets the positive and negative.

Epsom salt can be found in any groc store or drug store... :D

Actually if only one eye is swollen it most likely is not popeye. Popeye will affect both eyes about the same amount. It has to do with fluids building up in the body, just like with dropsy. If it is only one eye I would assume its just an injury. It can take a very long time for the swelling to go down. My ranchu was beat up during breeding and her eye was popped out for about a month before it started to go back down. I didnt treat her or anything. Now her eye is back to normal.

That would make sense since the antibiotics aren't working, you can usually see a difference with antibiotics within a day- and you have been treating your fish for five days and see no difference.

You should probably stop popeye treatment if it is only one eye. I don't know what you do for a general injury, I guess melafix and great water quality. Maybe there is a general antibiotic you can use later if the eye is infected (i have no idea) but I would give your fish a break from antibiotics for now.

Hey guys....thanks for all the advice. I've been away, hence the late reply.

Anyways, it is both eyes that are swollen. It was only one at first, and I assumed it was an injury, but it's now been probably 2 months since I first noticed the swollen eye, and the other is beginning to swell too (though it's definitely not even close to as bad). The eye also appears to be getting worse, and not any better.

I had my friend come over and give the meds while I was away. I also bought some epsom salt while I was away, and have just put some in his tank now (unfortunately a little late).

Moe has now been on meds for 9 days, almost 2 rounds of treatment...unfortunately I don't see much improvement. His really big eye is still fully swollen, and not looking better. I can't really tell if the less swollen one looks a bit better, it may....though I really couldn't be sure.

So, what do you guys advise I do? I feel bad keeping him in the little 5 gallon by himself, as he looks so big and lonely in there. I was thinking of giving him a break and putting him back into the big tank with his friends...good or bad idea? Also, would it be alright to put the epsom salt in the big tank? or is this bad for the other fish or my plant?

I figure my next best plan of action is getting Maracyn...the first one this time. Am I right? Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't think the epsom salts would hurt your healthy fish and it won't hurt your plants. Some planted tank people dose with epsom salts since it is magnesium and is required by plants :D

I haven't used Maracyn so I will let others who have done so to give you advice on that.

Thanks Touchofsky. I think I'll dose Moe once more this afternoon (to finish the second round) and then put him back into the big tank tomorrow. He'll be so happy to be back with his friends again!

Well, I put Moe back into the big tank the same night that I wrote the last post...I just couldn't bear to see him in the little 5 gallon any longer. He was so happy...swimming around the place in ecstacy. He also has developped breeding stars (or whatever they're called) since being put into the small tank...he now drives my female oranda Chubbs crazy, by chasing her non-stop. She has taken to sleeping (and hiding) belly to the ground, near the roots of my big plant. She's so cute back there...always disappearing for afternoon rests from the constant pestering of Moe. He also chases little Spot, which is both cute and too bad for Spot, since she (?) is much smaller and weaker then Moe...but I guess it gives her a little exercise (he doesn't really bother her much).

Anyways, I have a question regarding his popeye treatment...even though he seems healthy in all respects, his eyes are still very swollen. I was wondering what treatment course you guys would recommend? To treat him I would need to put him in a 5-gallon tub, which I would feel bad about.....but I also can't watch his eyes get any bigger! I'm so worried about him! He's my fav (don't tell the others), and holds a special place in my heart....any ideas?

I've currently got a 1/2 tsp. concentration of epsom salt in the tank (a 20 gallon)....and the water parameters are perfect and have been for a long while now.

Thanks for thr advice!

anyone? should I seperate him to treat him again? give him more time off? wait to see if he gets better? he's driving my oranda nuts with his constant pestering, which makes me think he can't be too sick...but both his eyes are obviously swollen, and don't look very good....any ideas? Should I head out and get maracyn 1 or wait longer?