Ac70 Carbon Replacement. What To Use?

monkeyzero

Hi there

I was told that carbon has a lifespan of only about a month. Well my AC70 has been in use for about 3 now. SO I am very late when it's coming to replacing it. However I was told that I don't need it in the 50 gal. So I was told to replace it since it's pointless having one. BUt the quesstion is, with what? Should I get another sponge? More bioballs? Or filter floss?

Whatever I get will go ontop of the sponge, below the bioballs and gravel(I mixed some gravel from the goldies tank into the bioballs to help more cycling :)

• Admin

My 2 AC 70's I have starting from the bottom.

Sponge

Filter floss (one blue and one piece white)

Bio Balls.

Now the Blue filter floss is a course floss the white is a fine floss, so this way the water is getting polished all around :thumb:

My 2 AC 70's I have starting from the bottom.

Sponge

Filter floss (one blue and one piece white)

Bio Balls.

Now the Blue filter floss is a course floss the white is a fine floss, so this way the water is getting polished all around :thumb:

Interesting... I didn't know the blue was different from the white! I need to go get some blue floss!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Why do you not need activated Carbon for your 50 gallon? Do you need activated carbon at all? Do I need it in my 20 gallon? I bought a 3 months supply for my AQ50 because I assumed I needed it.

Why do you not need activated Carbon for your 50 gallon? Do you need activated carbon at all? Do I need it in my 20 gallon? I bought a 3 months supply for my AQ50 because I assumed I needed it.

You actually don't need to use carbon except for some special circumstances like needing to remove medications from the water, clearing cloudy water, clearing smelly water. Otherwise, it's expensive and may actually make your fish sick.