Green Water Experts Please Help Me Out

so im thinking about turning my 80 gallon into a green water tank i understand how green water works and have a few questions that need answering ebfore i decide to turn my 80 gallon into agreen water tank.

i have a hood light on my aquarium what type of bulb would i need for that?(link would be awsome)

is it safe to allow a fish to live in full time?

how often should the water be changed? more then once per week?

i heard somthing about a UV shield for the light as UV kills the blooms what is that?(link would be awsome)

do fish grow faster in green water?

thank you to everyone who helped answering my questions it is very much appreciated

- is it safe to allow a fish to live in full time?

yes but you have to be very careful about oxygen levels. fish can suffocate at night when plants release back CO2. air pump would be good.

-how often should the water be changed? more then once per week?

yes more. you have to do huge water changes and keep 'seeding' the tank from a green water tub.

-i heard somthing about a UV shield for the light as UV kills the blooms what is that?(link would be awsome)

UV promotes growth which is why it grows best outside.

do fish grow faster in green water?

absolutely. and healthier.

just do lots of research before you start. it can be dangerous if not done correctly. also remember that the tank cannot be cycled as the BBs will outcompete the tank for food. So the green water will act as your filtration.

thank you for the info i have been doing research on green water and found a few good sites.i was thinking that maybe i would like to buy small feeder goldfish and grow them in a green water tank and re-sell them as pond fish i dunno i like the idea of saving fish that might otherwise not get a chance.

what about the lighting? can i use a hood light with a bulb or do i need a speciel set up? and what do i use as a UV sheild?

Hi X_C ,

great that you have decide to join the "green water club". I raise some of my fish in green water and am pleased with the results.

my best green water is grown in natural light so maybe you would want to replicate that?

By using green water , no filter is needed but the level of "green" shuld be respected so some water is changed as the color of water ditcates. I have several tanks ready and just move the fish to the fresh tank when necessary.

I do not understand what is your question about UV. a Uv filter kills alage . green water is composed of alage.

My black moor are grown in these conditions and produce fine very black colour. but i do not know it it is because of the green water or is due to good genetics?

these remarks are of my personal experiences and may not be the best way to achieve your goals.

i read somewhere that when cultivating green water indoors you need a UV shield for certian lights/bulbs but i dont know what to use as a UV shield or the type of bulb is good.

it would be very difficult for me to have geen water outdoors as i live in Upper MI and the summers very very short (only about 3 months)