Please Help! Im So Upset-dropsy

xchairity_casex

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level main tank-0 QT-0
  • * Nitrite Level main tank-0 QT-0
  • * Nitrate level main tank-8 QT-9
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) main-8.0 QT8.7.9
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?-drops
  • * Water temperature? main-76 Qt-78
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?main-80 gallons running nearly a year QT- 20 gallons running for 3 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?main-2 penguin bio wheels and one whisper 30 QT-one weird little unknown filter that filters 30gph and one from wally world the filters 350gph dont recall the name?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 95percent every thursday

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? main-today 100 percent QT-today 100 percent
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? main-4 goldies between 1 inch and 6 inches QT normally none now one
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? jungle start right water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? homemade gel food
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? main-none QT none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? pineconeing and rolling around a little
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? floating and rolling around a little bit

i left on friday to stay out at my bfs house untill today i jsut got home and looked in my tank to find big ed pineconed really badley he was normal when i left! so since gummie bears eye wound was almost fully healed i moved her back into the big tank did a 100 percent water change on the QT tank put one of my penguin bio wheel 400 filters on the Qt tank and put ed in when i went to go grab one of the 3 cartons of salt i couldnt find them along with a few other pet supplies i keep on a small book case in my room i went up to ask me mom where they were and she said the cats knocked the book case over and everything landed in the washer sinks which were full of bleach luandry water! :krazy: :krazy: that was the only money i will have for another 2 weeks!!!! im so upset right now i dont know what to do :cry i raised the temp on the QT tank to 78 but theres nothing else i can do! im so afraid for him! hes still eating and swimming activly untill i moved him into the Qt tank then he started kind of floating/rolling around! im having trouble keeping myself from crying right now :crying::cry :cry i asked my mom for some money for salt but we are tight on bills right now as i had to see a dentist recently is it at all possable that clean clean clean water will help him?? :cry

Can you upload a pic? Also, do you have Epsom & a heater? Of course clean clean water will help him heal, but I don't know that clean water alone is enough. The heat and Epsom will help also.

Temperature should be up to about 80. You can get Epsom (active ingredent 100% magnesium sulfate) in the foot care/bath section for a couple of dollars. The dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

Good luck! I'm sorry he's having problems. He's one of my favorites on here.

Do you think you can upload a pic of him, especially a top view? Also, when will you be able to get some meds?

Good luck! I'm sorry he's having problems. He's one of my favorites on here.

Do you think you can upload a pic of him, especially a top view? Also, when will you be able to get some meds?

ill go take a photo of him from the top right now what type of emds does he need? i dont think ill be able to get any time of fish meds for another two weeks. my poor poor boy

I don't know how well penicillin will work, and unless penicillin is the option of last resort, I would say go for it. However, I wouldn't use penicillin right now, because if you do, you will have to commit to that course of treatment for 14 days.

Right now, I propose the following:

1. Heat/Epsom as you have done.

2. Order Metro-Meds or some medication that contains metronidazole. This antibiotic is the gold standard for treating dropsy, as it is both antibacterial and antiparasitic.

its ok im opting to not try it since number one i cannot for the life of me find ANY WHERE that will tell me how much he should get internally only externally and that wont help an internal infection. and i can probably barrow the money from my bf for the medicated food but i wont even be able to talk to him again untill wednesday as he is out in the woods with freinds till wednesday. i really appreciate that helpyou gave me and maybe he will be my miracle fish once again and hold on. though lord knows if this fish dies i will not buy another to replace him.

he is acting normal now swimming around normally not bottom sittong or floating or rolling around but sadly gummie bear my black moor had both her eyes taken and has passsed away im guessing from the stress she was in the QT tank recovering from a small eye injury that had since healed nearly 100 percent and htought she was actice and happy and healed enough to move back into the big tank and she was swimming around perfectly fine for the first 25 mintures that i seen but i guess the fan tail and the pearlscale really tore into her :( :( im goin to go post in the obituaries for her. if i wasnt crying before i deff am now..

I have had success with a combination of Macryn and Macryn 2. Some people have had this kill a cycle though so I would only use it in a QT tank. I still prefer Metromeds for Jungle AP food (Petco and Petsmart both used to carry it...I haven't looked for it lately). Until then the epsom should help. Hang in there!

I have had success with a combination of Macryn and Macryn 2. Some people have had this kill a cycle though so I would only use it in a QT tank. I still prefer Metromeds for Jungle AP food (Petco and Petsmart both used to carry it...I haven't looked for it lately). Until then the epsom should help. Hang in there!

Agreed! As far as waterborne treatments go, that combo should work, and a number of people have reported success with it :)

i found metro emds on amazon i should be able to order on tuesday but amazon orders usually dont get to me for about a week and from what it seems ive read it all says that its only a short time after oineconeing that a fish will die will epsom salt b able to help him for a whole week?