Tank Update

Forrest

Update on my tank.

Gravel removed. Makes cleaning easier.

Halved the plant horn wort because it was to much and collecting debris’s.

Change 50% water on Monday and Thursday due to a lot of free time on those days.

Removed 40 watt t5 light system which was hot and sucking up electricity.

Replaced with marine land Double Bright Led 24-36 inch light

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Double-Bright-24-Inch-36-Inch/dp/B0032536QK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I gotta say I like the LED lights. I like the shimmer affect and the fact that’s its cooler and saving me money. Since I am only growing duckweed, hornwort and watersprite I hope it has enough watts to do it.

What I notice now is I have a lot of brown algae all over the place, I have been wondering how to get rid of it with out scrubbing. I was thinking a otocinculus until I read the goldfish will eventually eat it killing both. Maybe the LED lights wont be as powerful and it wont grow.

Also feeding habits. I read it takes 16 hours for something to be digested by a gold fish. I feed twice a day, once when I wake up and once before I go to sleep. Its a decent amount too. They still seem to be extremely hungry and super beggars for food. All they do is beg. There’s no way I am underfeeding. Its got to be a trick they know if they swim towards me for hours on end I will break down and give them food.

Begging is normal and does not mean they're being underfed. Fish will eat until they die, so it's important to control their food intake.

Edited by Azlaier

Also I notice that the bigger fish is pushy over the feeder ring. There is no damage being done just pushing. Not even biting. Its kind of like watching a baby fight another baby, it non effective.

Think its pushing it to put in a small third gold fish into the twenty gallon? I plan to upgrade to a 30 gallon in December. The urge to buy another fish is incredible even when I know its not the best.

Ill make a new video in a little bit.

how cute! closet goldies!

a few tips - You can see the trailing poop behind the fish. THis means he is over fed and not digesting properly. You need to feed smaller amounts - bite sized. This then you can do various times a day tho - goldfish need to eat small meals all throughout the day to best imitate their foraging habits. Best would also be to include some veggies and frozen foods because pellets can be quite heavy.

For the brown algae - keep scrubbing it down. It will eventually calm down once your cycle is strong. How long has the tank been running?

Also, since your guys are still rather young and your tank is very tall - you can lower the water level. THis will prevent any future swim bladder issues. I would lower from 1/3 to 1/2 of the water :)

good luck!

Tank is running 1-2 months. The light I had on it was strong for a 20 gallon, at least I think it was. Alright I will tone down the feeding. Theres a lot of duckweed on the surface, I assumed they would eat that up but so far they don't seem to have put a dent in it.

Nah its not a closet. I live in a big 4 bedroom house. Just this side of the house is 100 years old so there is no closet in this room. I have a huge two row garment rack against the wall and the tank near the garment rack. My computer desk is to near the tank so I watch the fish while I am on the PC a lot.