Possibly Sick New Fish =(

tiffkris

Here we go again! Hmph!

• * Ammonia Level 0-.25
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature? 72 degrees
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, running 3 months.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Marine Land 350's, 700 GPH total
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Cycle bump, nasty one, water changes once daily to keep ammonia and nitrite below .25

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Oranda, about the size my palm
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon in a pinch, was out of Hikari
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Oranda is new, about 7 days
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? fungus, also seen floating in tank
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Acting a bit itchy

Okay, after adding my new oranda I experienced a cycle bump, so I have been doing daily water changes to keep Nitrites and Ammonia under .25 ( has only reached .5 ammonia and .25 nitrite, and that was for less than 24 hours before noticing the bump). I don't know if this is associated with it or not, but I'm seeing almost fungus like spots, there's 4 spots, on Nibble's wen. I just went through ick with Porkchop last month and this doesn't look like ich to me. I have also noticed some wispy, white fungusy stuff floating in the tank as well, which it strange because I am a stickler for cleanliness in my tanks, literally picking around with a turkey baster daily lol. Nibbles doesn't seem to be acting oddly other than rubing himself on things every now and again. He's eating and swimming normally, dorsal fin up. I'm prepared to start salting the tank, but wanted to get some input before adding anything. I have been trying to get a picture for an hour on my cell phone, but Nibbles doesn't seem to like the phone in his face LOL. Any input?

Hello, the white fluffy spots on the wen could be wen growth, which is normal. Wen growth looks like this

wen1.jpg

and this

lh3a.jpg

Is that what you are seeing? There can be much more extensive growth compared to what is seen on the pics.

As for the white fungusy stuff in the tank, could you take a pic/video of that when next you see it?

For now, I would not add the salt just yet. I'm asking all these questions because true fungal infections in goldfish are rather rare.

Edited by dnalex