Ago Of Female Question

xchairity_casex

i was wondering what is the youngest a female goldfish will spawn? i alway heard that they normally dont untill around 2 years of age but then a book ive got says that no female goldy will breed untill shes reached 3-5 years of age.

the reason im wondering is becuase ever since my male oranda showed that he was a male ive wanted to try my hand at breeding goldies so ive been trying to get a lady fish for him i got a pearl scale which turned out to be a male and now ive got a fantail and a moor im waiting on (they are only a few months old)

Hi X_C

That is a very good question. I hatch and raise goldfish and so can follow them from the egg which allows for absolute accuracy on their exact age. Fancy goldfish( oranda , black moor , etc) can be and often are sexualy mature in males at 9-10 month and females at 2nd season but if bred in winter than can occur less than 2 years. Ofcourse an older female will produce much more and so and older one is prefered.

How do you know that your fantail and moor are only "a few months old" . moor do not normally even pop the eyes until age 4 month.

hand breeding? never heard of it but yikes! sounds like foreful breeding? no thank you! no i want my fishies to spawn naturally. my male oranda is quite "Frisky" of a fish so i suspect once a lady is mature it wont be difficult for him to fall in love

Breeding animals to early causes a couple problems. Breeding fish to early or excessively causes stress and generally shortens their life span. It can cause long term reproductive problems. They generally release their eggs early or produce smaller than normal eggs. If the eggs are fertile then the fish could be stunted or have a higher defect rate. Fish will breed on their own but I wouldn't encourage early breeding.